Friday, September 8, 2006

Happy Birthday Star Trek

Happy Birthday Star Trek (Sept. 8, 1966)... 40 Great Years and counting.

I can't believe it's been 40 years already. Being 35 Star Trek has always been apart of my life, I don't know a world without Star Trek. I remember sitting in my parents car at a drive in and watching The Motion Picture. I can remember staying up late and watching TOS in syndication and really enjoying it. Then came TNG and it was LOVE. Every week I was pulled into this world of "Star Trek". The stories, the characters, and the underlying themes is what made this show so great. It was escapism at it's best. Whenever I was feeling down or when "real" life was getting to be a bit to much, I could count on Star Trek to bring me back up and always put a smile on my face.

We live in a very sad world at the moment and Star Trek always showed what the human race could achieve. It had a crew that said discrimination was a thing of past; it had a future with no poverty; it had an economy that was driven by progress and achievement, not simple wealth accumulation; it had science as a guiding force, not mysticism or superstition; it had technology as a means to explore, not just make life easier; and, perhaps most importantly, it had a peaceful mission at its core, not one of conquest.

With The Original Series, the Animated Series, The Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager and finally Enterprise. And along the way 10 motion pictures. I couldn't imagine a world without Star Trek, let's hope for 40 more great years.

No comments:

Post a Comment