Saturday, February 29, 2020

Apartment Hunting Continues

After last weekend and only looking at two places I really wanted to ramp up on my apartment searching so I did loads of prep work during the week. I scoured the internet and found a handful of places that I wanted to see this weekend. There was one in particular that sounded perfect and I wanted to see it first thing. After playing text tag with the building contact I was able to set up a viewing at 11am today.

Once again my buddy Brian came with me to lend his eyes and thoughts on the place. This was a 2 bedroom, 1.5 bathroom townhouse. I love two story townhouses (I hope to actually buy one, one of these days). It was large and had nice looking wood plank floors. The best part about this place is that it had a two car garage, which is impossible to find for an apartment and near impossible to find for a townhouse. Only downside (if you can call it that) is it's a bit further north then I was looking in an area north of Burbank off the 210 called Tujunga (Sunland-Tujunga).

So we made our way over there and honestly it's only a 30 minute drive from my current place to this place. As we got off the free way I notice that this city starts at the foot of some hills and moves up it. I liked the surrounding mountains (very green this time of year). The city itself is a bit lived in which I don't mind, I lived in worse as long as my immediate area is nice I can live with this. As we drove we started to go further up the hill and into a more rural area. We made it to the townhouse and I really liked the surrounding area. In fact a few blocks from this place we came across this Hobbit House, it's pretty fantastic.

Anyways we got to the townhouse and the maintenance guy let me into the apartment and I wanted in and knew this was the place. The kitchen was small but workable, it had a nice size dining area and the living room was large. There is a "harry potter" closet under the door that would perfectly for my cosplay and the half bath was exactly what I expected. We walked upstairs and the first thing you see if the full bath, it has a double sink and a seperate area with the toilet and tub/shower. The master bedroom is the larger of the rooms and there is this cute little patio just off  to the side. The second bedroom is smaller then the master but by no means a small room. It would be perfect for my toy collection. Brian and I went through the house again, checking water pressure and opening doors and closets (which both rooms had nice large closets). He then showed up the garage and it's exactly what I need, not only can I store my extra collection in there I can park my car in there as well. He then showed up the laundry room, it's one washer and one dryer (for seven units), not great but doable.

I could tell Brian was excited for the place as well, we looked at each other and said "it's perfect". I grabbed and application and said I would call the building person to figure out how I was going to get it to him. Brian and I then went exploring around the area and found a cute breakfast place to get some food. While eating I filled out the app and contacted the building guy (come to find out he build these units). He said I could leave the form with the maintenance guy so after breakfast Brian and I went back up to drop off the money (for the credit check) and app but the guy wasn't there. I called him and he said he wasn't sure when he'd be coming home so I contacted the building owner and who said he's be showing the place to another person at 4pm if I wanted to come by and drop off the money and app. So Brian and I drove home to watch Picard episode 6 (post to come). At 3:30 we headed back up and waited. I saw the couple who was going to look at the place pull up behind me, I started to get nervous as this was a couple, I didn't know if the guy would want a couple or was it better that I was single.

Anyways I let him show the couple in and as they walked around I went up to him and give him money and application. We chatted for a few minutes (I tried to turn on the charm, which I am horrible at). He asked me a few questions, this is where I found out he built these units and that the lady who lived in the place before was there for 11 years before her kids moved out and she wanted a smaller place. He told me that I sounded like a perfect tenant and that he's let me know on Monday once he check my credit. I thanked him and went on my way. Now I have wait and by the time we were done I wasn't in the mood to look at anything else. I'm kind of putting all my eggs in this one basket. I mean this place it perfect and I'll be comparing everything I see to this one.

Only a few things that I would say aren't ideal (but not deal breakers). It's the front unit, but luckily it's not on a main street. Across the street is an elementary school, so depending on when I leave for work there might be lots of parents dropping off kids. When I'm off work how will the noise be during school hours. One washer and dryer and it's a little further out then most of my friends and the gym. But again none of these are deal breakers. I love the more rural area, the place is big and has a huge amount of stroage (including a garage). And best part of all of this is that it's right under my budget of $2000 a month coming in at $1995.00

I'll keep you guys posted if I get the place or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment