Thursday, January 1, 2009

A Look Back at 2008

As this year comes to a close I wanted to take a quick look back at 2008. This year has seen many highs as well as many lows.

Of course the best thing that happened in 2008 was Harry and I getting married, it was a dream of a lifetime and it was as ever beautiful and geeky as we planned. His family visited during that time and I got to meet Harry’s mother Zita, sister Gerda, her son Leonhard and her fiancĂ© Bernd. All were wonderful, kind and loving people.

Another high for 2008 was going to Star Trek The Tour, three days of Star Trek geekiness and Harry and I loved every minute.

Another high was getting my first job for a network show, America’s Toughest Jobs aired on NBC for one season only but it was a fun experience and it lead to my current job on Deadliest Catch for Discovery.

And a really good high was the election of Barack Obama for our next President of the United States. Not only because he is our first black President and a Democrat it’s because when he talks you actually believe him. Many from the JFK generation said when he spoke he moved you. That is how I felt for the first time listening to Obama speak. Great things are ahead for this country.

And with that said now to the lows of 2008. Of course the biggest low at least for me personally is the passing of Prop 8, the gay marriage ban in California. This fight is far from over, one day folks will understand that all people should have equal rights.

Another low is our economy, people losing their jobs, houses and retirement funds. This hasn’t effect me directly but it has affected many of my friends and family.

Luckily for me the highs have outweighed the lows and 2008 was a pretty great year.

With a new President let’s hope he can start to re-build this great country of ours.. only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment