Sunday, January 6, 2013

My Elf, My Friend, My Screeners

Woke up this morning and couldn't wait to play Lord of the Rings Online (yeah I know I have an problem). Since Chris wasn't around I didn't want to play my Hobbit character so I decided to create a new character. I was really wanting to create a Dwarf but I've always wanted to play a Mage like character but in LOTRO there are no Mages as we all know there are only 5 Wizards in Middle Earth. But there is a Lore Master but those only pertain to Elf and Human. I didn't want be human... how boring is that so I opted for Elf. I teetered on being a female Elf but in the end I went with a male Elf. He's from Lorien and after going through what felt like hundreds of names I came up with Gillthalion, I wanted Gilthalion but that was taken so I added another L.

I spent the next six hours straight, no food, no drink, no bathroom breaks and I leveled my elf up to 10. I probably would have played all day but my buddy Brett was coming over to hang out. He arrived around 2ish and I pulled myself away from the game. We were going to watch some screeners and then grab a bite for dinner. I had Brett go through and pull out movies he wanted to watch and he selected Flight, Hyde Park on Hudson and Promised Land. I had already seen Flight and wasn't thrilled to see it again so we started with Hyde Park on Hudson, if you don't know what this movie is about here is a brief synopsis.  The President. The First Lady. The King. The Queen. The Mother. The Mistress... One weekend would unite two great nations... After cocktails of course.  The story of the love affair between FDR and his distant cousin Margaret Stuckley, centered around the weekend in 1939 when the King and Queen of the United Kingdom visited upstate New York.

My review... well Bill Murray was playing FDR so that was fun. Overall I enjoyed the movie. It's nothing special. My favorite bits were with the King and Queen. I had no idea of how much FDR was a womanizer. There's a bit of comedy, a bit of drama. glad I saw it but I wouldn't watch it again (of course if someone wants to see it with me I'm not opposed to watching again). I give this movie an average C

Up next was another movie that I had yet to see Promised Land. Here's a brief synopsis. Corporate salesman Steve Butler (Damon) arrives in a rural town with his sales partner, Sue Thomason (McDormand). With the town having been hit hard by the economic decline of recent years, the two outsiders see the local citizens as likely to accept their company's offer, for drilling rights to their properties, as much-needed relief. What seems like an easy job for the duo becomes complicated by the objection of a respected schoolteacher (Holbrook) with support from a grassroots campaign led by another man (Krasinski) who counters Steve both personally and professionally.

My review... I saw a preview of this movie and it look interesting and I have to say it was. I very much enjoyed this movie. Frakking is a very hot topic and I think this movie does a good job and showing that. I liked all the performance, especially Damon. There was a very surprising reveal that I didn't see coming that I thought was well played. I would watch this again on my own or with a friend. I give this movie a solid B

After those movies Brett and I were hungry so we made our way to Chili's for some dinner. Little did I know that Sunday night Chili's is a happening place. Took about 10 to 15 minutes but we were seated and enjoyed a yummy dinner. Afterwards we called it a night as Brett had a long drive home and I have my first day at the new job tomorrow.

It was great hanging with Brett.. he and I are still fairly new friends but with every visit I grow closer and closer to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment