Sunday, December 8, 2013

Sherlock Series One - My Review

Since it was freezing outside I couldn't work in the garage any longer so I came in to get warm and watch a bit a TV. Recently my buddy Ken got me season 1 & 2 of the BBC series Sherlock. I've heard amazing things about this series and had planned to watch but not being a big Sherlock fan it was never a priority. Well now that I have the DVD's I figured I'd give a go and check it out.

So I started with Series 1 Episode 1 - "A Study in Pink", loosely based upon the first Sherlock Holmes novel A Study in Scarlet. The story depicts the introduction of Holmes to Watson, and them entering a flatshare at Baker Street in London, and then their investigation into a series of deaths, initially believed to be suicides.

I loved the first meeting between Holmes and Watson.. it was fantastic (and later I was told that it was pretty close to how it was done in the book). I think Freeman and Cumberbatch have so much chemistry. The way they played off each other was priceless. I loved the on going joke that Watson and Holmes were lovers/partners. And then you had the story which was very enjoyable. It was fun watching Sherlock solve the mystery. And speaking of Sherlock I love how we see things through Sherlock's eyes.. brilliant. I loved all the text and information on screen. I can go on and on about how much I loved this first episode. I was hook in the first few minutes and I couldn't want to watch the next episode.

So I moved on to Series 1 Episode 2 - "The Blind Banker". Holmes is hired by an old friend to investigate a mysterious break-in at a bank in the City which leads to a game of puzzles, mobsters and intrigue.

This was a nice follow up to the first episode. I don't think it was a wow episode like the first but I enjoyed the story and of course the companionship of Holmes and Watson. I liked Watson's date and after what happens to her I would be surprised if they dated much longer. 

So now it's late and I'm tired but also so addicted and I knew that series 1 was only 3 (90 min) episodes.. so I moved onto Series 1 Episode 3 -  "The Great Game" The episode introduces the character of Jim Moriarty to the series, who sets Holmes deadlines to solve a series of apparently unrelated cases.

I had a rough time liking Sherlock in this episode. I know it's his character but man he makes it hard to like him some times. I loved that Watson called him out and got upset.. it was very well done. I enjoyed Moriarty.. I was surprised to find out that he was Molly's "boyfriend". He's kind of creepy and weird but a good addition to the cast. This episode ended on a HUGE cliffhanger and I am so glad I didn't have to wait a year for the conclusion like everyone else. I was also very thankful that my buddy got me both season 1 and 2.

It was almost midnight and I was exhausted but I couldn't go to sleep until I found out what happen, so I watched the first episode of series 2, well at least the first 5 minutes where they concluded the cliffhanger and moved on with the story.. but that's where I stopped for the night.

My over all thoughts on Sherlock Series one. WOW, WOW and more WOW. This series is everything that everyone has said. It meet and exceeded my expectations. I couldn't get over the chemistry of Freeman and Cumberbatch. I mean the written is great but what really draws me to this series is the unlikely friendship between Holmes and Watson.

I can't wait to watch series 2!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment