Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Movies, Movies and More Movies

Today was all about gay-themed movies. Now that I have netflix a world of gay-themed movies are at my fingertips.

I started my day with The Curiosity of Chance. Here's a brief synopsis; In 1980s Europe, flamboyant and gay 16-year-old Chance Marquis shows up at an international high school in a top hat and tails, immediately attracting the attention of the "queer-hating" resident bully, among others. Through his involvement in the school newspaper, he meets an introverted photographer with a mysterious briefcase, and while practicing tennis, he befriends a catty fashionista, both of whom act as his wingmen in his new high school. He also meets the jock-next-door, with whom he forms a tentative friendship, despite the jock's cacophonous group of friends. The film follows Chance through a year of high school, with its attendant drama, successes, and hijinks—including sneaking into a drag bar, where Chance begins to explore his true self.

I enjoyed this movie. It had some really cute moments. I really couldn't identify with the main character but I really enjoyed the secondary characters.. especially Hank, Chances photographer/sidekick. I really enjoyed the father/son relationship and Chances "daydream" sequences. Overall it was good movie. I wouldn't buy it on blu-ray but I'm not opposed to watching it again with a friend. I give The Curiosity of Chance a solid B.

Second I watched What Happens Next. Here's a brief synopsis; Paul Greco is a wealthy man who has sold his business and has retired. His sister Elise gives him a dog. Paul assumes the daily dog-walking routine in the park where he encounters Andy Chance, a gay self-employed advertising whiz, who happens to own a dog himself. The daily meeting develops into a tender series of situations between the two as conversations exchanged become more and more involved and sincere.

I really enjoyed this movie. I could really identify with the main character though I came out many years before he did. I knew his struggle and apprehension. All of the actors were fantastic in their roles. And yes the plot was predictable but that didn't take away from the fun or seriousness of the movie. I would defiantly buy this on blu-ray and I give What Happens Next a very deserving A

Next up was Pit Stop. Here's a brief synopsis; Recovering from an ill-fated affair with a married man, Gabe finds solace in the relationship he maintains with his ex-wife and daughter. On the other side of town, Ernesto evades life at home with his current live-in ex-boyfriend by spending much of his spare time in the hospital with an ailing past love. Impervious to the monotony of their blue-collar world, they maintain an unwavering yearning for romance.

This had more drama, then the previous two films I watched. I really enjoyed it. It's really two different stories and you wait the entire movie for these two guys to get together. And for a moment I thought it wasn't going to happen.. but it does during the last five minutes of the film. I would have preferred them getting together half way through the movie and then watching their relationship developed. But as I said it was a good movie. I wouldn't buy it on blu-ray but I'd watch it again with a friend if they wanted to see it. I give Pit Stop a solid B+

Fourth movie of the day was Yossi. Here's a brief synopsis; Yossi, is a sequel to the director's breakthrough work Yossi & Jagger (2002). The plot takes places a decade after the events in that previous film. It follows the title character, a closeted gay cardiologist who struggles to find meaning in his life while overcoming the loss of his lover and reconciling his past with his future.

First of all I didn't know this was a sequel. Kind of wish I would have seen the previous movie first. This wasn't a bad movie but the main character is so unhappy that it makes the film tough to watch. I'm not sure if I'd want to watch the first movie as I know how it ends and the reason for him being so unhappy. I wouldn't buy this movie on blu-ray and I don't see myself watching it again. I give Yoshi a C 

And my final movie of the night was House of Boys. Here's a brief synopsis; The film follows the story of Frank, a gay teenager in the 80's who runs away from his home to start a new life and later his struggle against the recently discovered AIDS.

This was not the best movie to end my might on. From the description on Netflix I figured it was about a troubled teen who goes and works at a gay strip club. Which the first half of the movie is.. but then it takes a very dark turn as one of the main characters contract HIV/AIDS and we spend the next hour of the film watching him die a slow and painful death. It was heart wrenching. It's a very well acted and thought provoking movie just not what I was expecting and not really how I wanted to end my day of movie watching. I won't be buying this on blu-ray and don't think I need to see this again but I give House of Boys a B+.  

No comments:

Post a Comment