Friday, February 14, 2020

My First Deep Dish Pizza

For Valentines day Brian and I went to Gino's East in Sherman Oaks, it's a pretty famous Pizza place in Chicago and they serve deep dish pizzas. I've never had a true deep dish pizza so when I heard they were opening here in the valley I knew I had to go and since Brian and I like to try new things together we figured we'd go on Valentines day, assuming it would be a made house like most sit down restaurants. We were kind of right, it was busy, a half hour wait but they had a table in the bar area that the hostess offered to us so we grabbed it after only waiting about five minutes.

Next was picking the pizzas, they have lots to choose from but I wanted a meat pizza so I got the Meaty Legend with Pepperoni, Italian sausage, Canadian Bacon and bacon. Brian wanted to try something that he hadn't had before. He lived in Chicago for a while and had been to the original Gino's. He got Diavola with Spicy pepperoni, basil and white truffle oil. It take about 30 minutes for the pizzas to be made. While we waited the owners Dan and Tod stopped by our tables and chatted with us for a few minutes, it was a nice touch. They were excited that this was going to be my first experience eating a deep dish. They later came back to get my opinion.

Brian's pizza, the Diavola came out first so we dug into that. At first I thought it was the meaty one and was kind of disappointed in it but soon I realized my mistake. First let me say that this pizza was amazing. the sauce was incredible and with the basal it was probably one of my favorite pizza sauces that I've ever had. I didn't really taste the truffle oil or maybe I did and didn't realize it since I don't eat truffle much. This pizza was fantastic and I'll be getting it again.

My pizza came out about five minutes later so after we had a slice of the Diavola we dug into the meaty legend. Now that was meat, lots and lots of meat. I will saw with all that meat it took away a bit of the sauce flavor but again this pizza was amazing. Oh and I didn't mention this before but besides the incredible sauce the dough is something out of this world. 

I couldn't praise them any more, Brian did mention that he's had deeper dish pizzas in Chicago but he agreed these pizzas were incredible and I'm so happy this was my first experience with deep dish. I'll be going back again and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment