Thursday, February 20, 2020

Why I'm Moving

Today I gave my 30 +9 days (be out by March 31st) notice at the house I've been living in for the past two and a half years. When Andrew (1st roommate) and I first got the place it was perfect, but soon we got to know the owner (he goes by Bunny), he's this older cooky British guy. Once a month he'd come by the house just to check up on things to make sure we weren't damaging his property. He did not like Andrew so he would always deal with me. After ever visit I'd get a call about something he didn't like about the house.

Some of the worst ones were during the summer when it's really hot outside and the outside plants started to wilt (as they do) he'd threaten to take money from my security deposit if the I didn't take care of them better. First of all per our lease he is suppose to supply a gardener (which he did once a year) and I did agree to water which I did once a week but even with that it's hot and things brown out here.

He complain if we changed door knobs even though the knobs that were there were from the 70's and did not work. Last year he complained about our cleanliness, he didn't like how we were keeping our bathrooms and once again threaten to use my security deposit replace shower/toilet and such. He then hired a cleaning lady to come clean our place, he paid for the initial cleaning and said that he wanted us to pay for her to come once a month afterward, if I didn't agree to it he would raise our rent. (we were no longer in a lease at this time so he could do whatever he liked). I agreed to pay for the cleaning lady.

He had a heart attack when I removed the shower curtain rod from my bathroom because it kept falling and hitting me. He hounded me until I put it back up and took pictures to prove that I have.

And recently our Fridge and Microwave broke, I informed him back in December and per our lease he is not responsible for fixing appliance and I'm okay with that. I have my own refrigerator in the garage and I purchase a small microwave. He asked that we get a repair man to come out and look at the appliances, which I was fine with but I have been busy the past few months and we have the back up appliances so it's not a priority. Well at the beginning of this month he texted me asking if I had them looked at and of course I had not but told him I still plan to. Well he flipped out and texted me back. "No more bullshit, I want those appliances looked at by end of week". That was it for me, I knew that I wanted to move out. I am a very patient and laidback guy and I have put up with alot of shit but that was it for me. Needless to say that I had already scheduled a repair man come out and actually paid a few hundred dollars to fix the fridge (which I now regret) but the mirowave was going to take over $500 to fix and there was no way I was going to pay for that.

That brings us to yesterday when Bunny come over for his monthly visit. I stress out over these visit because I know he's going to complain about something and sure enough I got an call my Darcy (Bunny's realtor and ex) informing me that Bunny want's Adam (current roommate) out and wants him to take all his equipment with him (Adam is a black smith) immediately. She informed me that Bunny was fine if I stayed but Adam had to go. He says all of Adam equipment is a fire hazard, but Adam take precaution with all his work and Bunny has known about all this stuff for a year and a half. Bunny also claims that it's Adam's equipment that cause the appliances to fail which is BS as the appliances are old and not on the same circuit as the garage stuff. Anyways I immediately spoke with Adam and decided that we would move out as soon as we can so we don't have to give any more money to this person. As I said I was already planning on it but I wanted to wait until my downtime at work, but this forced my hand and we will be leaving by the end of March. I sent them the official notice this morning, still waiting to hear back from them, I also know that Bunny is going to try and make me pay for every little issue in that house (and there are alot but they were there before we moved in). I hope it doesn't come to this but I'm preparing for fight for my security deposit.... Stay Tuned...

1 comment:

  1. Check into legalshield - it’s a monthly legal subscription- we had them write a letter when we had to deal with an insane landlord. It solved a lot of hassle.

    ReplyDelete