Friday, June 4, 2010

My Weight Issues

I've never been a skinny person, even as a kid I always had a little belly. I'm short, only 5'4" and have a stocky built. All through high school I weight roughly between 155 and 165, in collage and in my 20's it went up to 165 to 175. I ate horribly and knew that but to counter the poor eating I worked our 3 to 4 times a week so I was able to maintain my weight.

But some where in my 30's life got alot more complicated and busy and working out took a back seat but the bad eating continued. Then a few years ago my doctor put me on testosterone as my levels were extremely low, something that I was completely unaware of. My doctor saw my numbers and asked if I lacked energy or had a low libido. I told him I didn't think so but when I started the testosterone my energy almost tripled, I never knew what "normal" energy was like so I had nothing to compare it too, but man it was nice. There were several side effects to the testosterone treatments. First one is having a higher libido (which really isn't a problem), second is growing more body hair (again not really an issue as I'm not a hairy guy so it was a nice change). But the third one is the most serious one and that is having the appetite of a 16 year old. I am hungry all the time, morning, noon and night. I can eat and a few hours later be hungry. And since my eating habits are horrible to begin with and I'm not working out this is not a combination.

About a year ago I was weighted at the doctors and I found out that I had gone over 200 for the first time in my life.. I was at 204 pounds. I could not believe I allowed myself to go past 200, something I swore I would never do. Well today I just weighted myself and I am now at 212, it's the heaviest I have ever been and I felt sick to my stomach. I asked myself how did this happen... why did I allow this to happen.. and what am I going to do to change this.

I'm going to be 40 this year and if I continue to gain weight it can be a health issue. It's time for a change. Harry and I have been looking at home gyms and as soon as we get back from vacation we plan on buying one for our garage. I think once I start working out and I shed some pounds but of course the bigger issue for me is my diet and appetite. I'm not going to stop the testosterone treatments, but I don't want always be hungry.. I'll need to find a happy medium.

My goal is to be below 200 pounds by the end of the year... that's only 12 pounds but it's going to be a battle.. I'll keep you guys updated on my progress here on my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment