Friday, August 13, 2010

Perseid Meteor Shower

I've heard about this meteor shower in the past but living in the city there is so much light pollution to see anything. But now that we are in my middle of no where with very little light pollution I decided to check this event out. It was a nice clear night.. so clear that you could see the Milky way. I went out about 11pm and saw about five shooting stars within a half hour. One was the best shooting start I had ever seen. It lasted at least six seconds and went from east to west across the sky. I really thought this one was going to hit the Earth.. must have been really big but it lite up the sky as it burnt out. Went back out about midnight and saw a few more and then again at 1am (they say from 1 to 5 is the best time to watch). I saw about seven shooting stars within 15 minutes. I was too tired to continue and I had seen about 20 meteors. So for my first meteor shower that's not too bad.. next year I should have a Perseid Meteor Shower party.

3 comments:

  1. It's been an annual event for me since I was a kid, at least until the past few years. I grew up in South West Michigan and we were just far enough away from the lights that on most nights during the shower, I'd loose track of how many I'd see in an hour. It's been decades and now it's so few more that I see when I watch, but I think my heart still flutters every time I see that streak out of the corner of my eye that is gone too quick to focus on. And the ones that streak from horizon to horizon? They still make me cry. :)

    I'm really glad you got see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember to check out the other ones! http://www.theskyscrapers.org/meteors/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was all set to go, and then it got cloudy. I will try again tonight.

    ReplyDelete