Friday, May 21, 2010

Star Wars Love

Today marks the 30 anniversary of Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back. This is my favorite of the first trilogy and one of my all time favorite movies. I was 9 about to turn 10 when I first saw this. My first viewing of this movie is one of the most vivid childhood memories that I have. I remember who I was with, where I was when I saw it and how it made me feel.

The original Star Wars shaped my childhood, it made me the lover of Science Fiction and Fantasy. I wouldn't be the GEEK I am today if it wasn't for Star Wars. So when I heard there was a sequel being made I was over the moon. Luckily my Dad was an avid fan (we saw Star Wars 14 times in the drive in theater) so we were there on opening day to see Empire. It's hard to put into words what I felt while watching this movie... it was pure ecstasy. I was transported to this wonderful world of good and evil, creatures and space battles and I loved every minute of it.

Nothing will every compare the same feeling as seeing Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, this was before computers, internet and mass media. Movie openings were EVENTS, Going into these movies you knew nothing (at least I didn't as I was still very young). These movies were the forefather of summer blockbusters and nothing will every take their places.

Happy Anniversary Star Wars The Empire Strikes Back.. thank you for allowing me to take a journey to a galaxy far, far away

No comments:

Post a Comment