Sunday, February 23, 2014

Weekend & Bad Boy Street - Reviews

After my long workout today I got home, was exhausted so I decided to make some lunch and watch a few movies on netflix. There are a ton of "gay" themed movies that I haven't seen so I decided to watch a few of those today.

First up was a movie called "Weekend", here's a synopsis: On a Friday night after a drunken house party with his straight mates, Russell heads out to a gay club, alone and on the pull. Just before closing time he picks up Glen but what's expected to be just a one-night stand becomes something else, something special. That weekend, in bars and in bedrooms, getting drunk and taking drugs, telling stories and having sex, the two men get to know each other. It is a brief encounter that will resonate throughout their lives.

I really enjoyed this movie, it was an honest and unapologetic love story between two guys, It is about the search for identity and the importance of making a passionate commitment to your life. The bitter sweet ending brought tears to my eyes. I would have to say the only downside for me was the gratuitous drug use. I wish for once a film portraying the gay lifestyle didn't always include drug use. Not all us gays use drugs. I'd give this movie a solid B-, if it didn't have all the drug use I'd give it a B+.

And speaking of drug use.. It's the same with the US version of Queer As Folk which I'm currently rewatching/watching. So much drug use and don't get me wrong I'm sure there are parts of the gay culture/community where this happens in abundance but luckily I just happen to not be in those kinds of circles. I just which for once they would portray a gay lifestyle that doesn't include partying, drinking and drugs. But then again I guess that's where all the drama lies and who'd want to watch a drama free and stable gay couple trying to work together and make their lives better. 

Anyways the second movie was a lower budget movie called Bad Boy Street. Here's a synopsis: Frenchman Claude (Yann De Monterno) had a bad relationship in USA ages ago; that's why he came back to France. One early dawn as he is walking towards his home he sees a drunken American lying on the pavement. Claude took him to his home because there was no way to identify the Young American. When they had a chance to talk, the young American's name is Brad (Kevin Miranda). That chance meeting leads to their relationship but Brad seems an enigma, seeming aloof even to Claude's BFF Catherine (Florence D' Azemar). Things get worse on the day of Claude's birthday, when a group of friends surprise him at his home; one recognizes Brad. Will Claude and Brad have the chance for a long term relationship?

I enjoyed this movie as well. There were only three main actors in this movie and all of them were very charming and sweet. Claude was my favorite and maybe that's because he was more my age and I could identify with him. I know from early on what Brad's secret was so it wasn't a surprise to me when they finally revealed it. And I really like Claude best girl friend Catherine, they had some nice chemistry.

As I mentioned it's a lower budget film and had some uneven audio, some crazy and shaky camera shots and the opening graphic were horrendous but none of these minor things really took away from the charming love story.  I've give this film a good C+

No comments:

Post a Comment