Tuesday, November 3, 2009

V

They finally premiered V on ABC.

First let me say I'm an old school V fan. I watched the first 4 hour miniseries back in the early 80's with my family and then the follow up 6 hour mini series two years after that and was in love. I watched the series over and over as we recorded it on our brand new VCR. In 1989 when they premiered the TV series I was right there waiting with baited breath and loved ever minute of it. Looking back now both mini series hold up pretty well but the TV series has some really cheesy episodes that didn't age will.. but I still love them. So to say I was super excited for this new version of V is an understatement.

I missed the sneak preview at comic con this year (which really bummed me out) so I have been counting down the days for this premiere. Quick thoughts... I really enjoyed the new re-imagined V. It was alot of the same storyline as the original but with some twists here and there.. the biggest is that there have been aliens (V's) living on Earth for years(?). I think they established each character, revealed the storyline and got a good start to the story. I really enjoyed the sfx.. the shuttlecrafts were cool and the inside of the mother ships were like small cities in space.. a big difference from the original. I really like Anna (Morena)'s character.. some of the looks she gave sent shivers down my spine. I like their version of the 5th Columnists (V traitors). This has only been the first episode but I can't wait to see where they take this storyline. Will they pull from the original or vear off on their own.

I do have a few complaints, at the beginning after the ships arrive and Anna gives her speech suddenly everyone breaks into applause. I mean aliens just arrive causing world wide panic and then after a five minute speech from some pretty women who looks human, they all applaud and cheer them. I don't think people are that gullible, at least I'm not. Yes I'm sure they were happy that they didn't attack but everyone around the world all clapping.. with the original V the ships came and sat in the sky for a few hours, then there was contact and folks were still skeptical then they had the meet up and still folks were skeptical.. This all took place in a matter of days not minutes. The other thing is how did the army get in the streets of NY so quickly.. it's like the ships arrived and there they were managing crowds. Did the government know they were coming?? And how lucky Erica when she found her son just a few feet from her in the middle of New York. Also with technology today you would think the world scientist and astronomers would have seen 29 huge ships coming towards Earth years in advance .. but like I have said.. maybe they did and world government had be hiding that news. But even with all those little grips.. the series was alot of fun. I'm a disappointed that ABC is airing only 4 episodes in Nov and then the rest next year in March.. I just hope this doesn't kill the series. I guess only time will tell.

Of course all this stuff it just things you have to ignore for the story to work and it didn't bother me but did make me think.

No comments:

Post a Comment