Monday, April 7, 2014

Dream Vacation - Day 24

Today is a travel day, I'm going from Cambridge to Worchester. But before I do I head out into Cambridge by myself to meet up with my buddy Russ. When I headed out I had planned to grab a taxi but I couldn't find any that were off duty. So I walked and walked and soon was lost in the somewhere of Cambridge. My buddy Matt who was back at Erlend's place was trying to help me out as my temp phone (blackberry) wasn't working properly but communication wasn't great so I continue to walk towards where I though we were to meet up. I was getting frustrated as Russ and I had little time to hang out and we only got to hang a few hours previous night. It also started to rain and I had no umbrella.

After about an hour and half Russ and I finally met up and went to a local coffee house. We spent the next hour and a half chatting and enjoying each other's company. Soon Emily and Matt joined us and we walked around Cambridge checking out the sites for a bit.

For lunch the four of us went to a place that claimed they had the "Best Burgers in the World" it was called Byron Burgers. We of course had to check it out and find out for ourselves if it was the best burgers in the world. I'd have to say that the burgers were pretty good I don't think they were the best. But we had a great time.

After lunch we said our goodbyes, I don't feel like Russ and I got to hang as much as I would have liked. But I'll take what I can. It was great meeting him and Emily (who is such a sweetheart) and hopefully one of these days the two of them will come to visit me in the US.

Matt and I headed back to Erlend's to pack up our things and get on road. I had to drop off Matt in Raunds before making my way to Worchester.

Meeting Matt was the unexpected highlight of my trip. He's an amazing guy, very British, sweet and so kind, he reminded me of myself at his age (besides the British part)... we instantly bonded. He feels like a little brother to me and I know that will continue to be great friends for the rest of our lives.

It was a rough drive to Worchester, it was a total of about 133 miles from Cambridge to Worchester with a quick stop in Raunds. It rained hard at times, even at monsoon levels, where I couldn't see a foot in front of me. I was a bit scared but took it slow and steady. I eventually made it to Worcester and my friend Markus, just as the sun went down.

I know I say this about all the people I have met here in the UK but it's true... my friend Markus is one of the sweetest guys that I have ever met. Like with the others, Markus and I met though The Guild, he was actually a fan of my podcast Knights of the Guild and our friendship blossomed from there. I've never met a more caring, sweet, and giving human being. I loved this guy before we ever met in person. There is just something about him that makes him amazing. He's one of those kinds of people who don't really realize how incredible they truly are.

He greeted me with the biggest smile and the best bear hug that I have ever had. We embraced for a few minutes and it finally hit me.. we were meeting face to face for the first time, after years of talking about it... it was an amazing feeling.

I got to meet Markus' dad Brian who was a character and super funny.. he welcomed me into their home with open arms. Markus and I hung out for a few hours before calling it a night, we had lots planned for the next few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment