Monday, September 9, 2013

Podcasts, Finances & R.G.Q: Favorite Sidekick

First thing I did this morning was finish my edit of the next Alien Nation Podcast. I think it turned out to be a pretty good episode. Of course the chemistry between my brother and I is different from Doug and I but Doug sounded like a natural podcaster.  We might be doing a joint project very soon.

I continued with podcasting work as I prepared notes for our upcoming MASH 4077 Podcast recording. We record six episodes four or five times a year, but I have to prepare all the show notes. It's just a matter of scouring the interwebs looking for the best behind the scenes info per episode. Sometimes it's fairly easy to find four or five things for an episode, other times it's next to impossible and I barely find one noteworthy BTS. It normally takes me a good two hours to gather all the info for the notes. After I'm done I share them with my co-hosts Meds and Al. Meds then goes through the guest stars and writes down a little background information on each one. Lot's of prep work for this show but in the end it sounds great and folks seems to really be enjoying it and that makes all the work worth it.

After that I moved onto Geekyfanboy Productions. I have this accounting excel spreadsheet that keeps track of all my spending as well as donations that I receive. I have been slacking as of late and haven't been adding expenses or donations so I spent a good two hours going over it and making sure it was all up to date.

I've been podcasting for over 4 and a half years now and have spent over $10,000 on podcasting alone. As I've always said Podcasting is an expensive hobby. But with that said I have also been fortunate enough to have some amazing listeners and friends who have donated to the podcasts over the years to offset my expenses. I would probably still do the podcast even if I didn't get donations but they help... alot. I recently got hit with three of my podbean services (podcast provider) coming up for a renewal as well as two of my URL's needing renewal for a total over $400.... ouch!!  When you're broke and out of work it's tough justifying paying for those things and not eating but luckily I put the call out a few days ago and I've received donations to cover half of that cost so far... so thanks guys.

I posted another Random Geek Question on Twitter and Facebook: Who's your favorite Sidekick and why. I guess it was either to hard of a question or folks did not like it as I only got a handful of responses. First was Willow from Buffy, I also got Gabrielle from Xena, Arthur from The Tick, Archie Goodwin (Nero Wolfe's), and Moist from Dr. Horrible. And my friend Michael said Kick Ass as Hit Girl is really the star.

I think my favorite sidekick would be Willow, she grew so much over the Buffy series and really become such a huge part of the Scooby gang. Who is your favorite sidekick? Leave it in the comments below.

2 comments:

  1. I personally love the sidekicks from Sky High. Sure, it's a tongue-in-cheek Disney movie, but they pool their strengths and talents and triumph in the end. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost put that as my favorite as well.. Sky High is one of my all time favorite "fantasy" movies. I just love it.

      Delete