Monday, May 26, 2014

Chef - My Review & Goodbye Chris

Chris is heading back to Montana today but first we went over to Jes and Dallas' place for him to do a fitting for something Jes is making for him. Afterwards the four of us headed over to Laemmle theater to watch the first showing of Chef. Here's a brief synopsis: A chef who loses his restaurant job starts up a food truck in an effort to reclaim his creative promise, while piecing back together his estranged family.

I wasn't sure what to expect with this movie, but it was not what I envisioned and certainly exceeded my expectations. Favreau did an amazing job as a writer, director, and actor in this film. The movie focused on the Chef, the emotions, the challenges and the insecurities he goes through and not the food. It showed a very humanized version of a celebrity chef and the storyline was feel-good, fun and very heartwarming. It's a simple story. The acting was great, so many fantastic people in the film. I especially liked the son. It's a hit and miss when it comes to young actors but this little guy nailed it. His heart to heart talks with his dad had me in tears.

I love that they used twitter as a major part of the storyline and how it's an important part in today's society. I don't know how this film will hold up in ten or twenty years when we move on to some other form of social media but in today's times it's a very relevant topic and very well done.

I don't think I'll be buying this on blu-ray and really don't need to see it again but that doesn't mean I didn't really enjoy it. I give Chef a solid B+

After the movie Chris said his goodbyes to Jes and Dallas then stopped by our friend Jen's place to say goodbye before heading back to my place and picking up his bag. We stopped by Panda Express to grab some lunch before going next door and dropping him off at the Burbank airport.

I remember the first time I had to say goodbye to him and the thought of not being able to see him whenever I wanted to made my heart ache but now it's different.. I mean I'm sad, don't misunderstand me, I'd prefer that he stayed.. but it's kind of gotten like a routine now. I know he'll be back in a month for LOJ and then a few weeks later for SDCC. So we always seems to have something to look forward to.

I ended my night with a 2 hour skype call with my buddy Erik who I hadn't talked to since Thursday.. great way to end my night. 

No comments:

Post a Comment