Saturday, May 31, 2014

Maleficent - My Review

Tonight my buddy Brett and I went to the Walt Disney Studio for a special PGA screening of Maleficent in 3D.

Maleficent synopsis: The untold story of Disney's most iconic villain from the 1959 classic "Sleeping Beauty." A beautiful, pure-hearted young woman with stunning black wings, Maleficent has an idyllic life growing up in a peaceable forest kingdom, until one day when an invading army of humans threatens the harmony of the land. Maleficent rises to be the land's fiercest protector, but she ultimately suffers a ruthless betrayal - an act that begins to turn her pure heart to stone. Bent on revenge, Maleficent faces an epic battle with the king of the humans and, as a result, places a curse upon his newborn infant Aurora. As the child grows, Maleficent realizes that Aurora holds the key to peace in the kingdom - and to Maleficent's true happiness as well.

FYI.... there might be slight spoilers, so be sure to have seen the movie before you read this.  

First I will say I LOVED THIS MOVIE!!!!! Since the very first teaser trailer I have been wanting to see this movie. I don't know why this movie appealed to me. I mean I enjoy Angelina Jolie as an actress but I'm not particularly a big fan of the Sleeping Beauty and/or Maleficent story but when I saw the preview I think it was the world in which the movie took place that really caught my attention. I LOVE Fantasy, especially Mythical fantasy and from the previews alone they had some amazing looking worlds and creatures.

So needless to say I was super excited for this. The movie starts and we see a young Maleficent flying round "the moors" (Fantasy world) and we are introduced to some amazing and beautiful creatures. Maleficent falls in love with a human but greed and ambition consumes him and soon he not only breaks her heart but cuts off her wings to win the throne. This is when the story of Sleep Beauty starts and Maleficent curses Aurora for what her father did to her.

The story that they have re-imagined for Maleficent is just beautiful. There is a reason for what she does and I like that we get to see the repercussion of her actions.

Angelina Jolie is amazing as Maleficent, both the good and bad fairy version. When she wakes after getting her wings cut off her cries are bone chilling. You can just feel all her pain, not only from her missing wings but from her braking heart.

I can't say enough about the special effects, I mean the story and the acting are fantastic but the SFX are just unbelievable.. or I should say are super believable. They created this amazing fantasy world and had three "real life" people interacting with it and it was flawless. The three tiny faeries look amazing and the battles scenes were fantastic.

Something that surprised me was the humor in this movie. Lots of little quips and jabs that made you laugh out loud.

I really liked the twist at the end with the kiss to awaken Aurora. Like with Frozen it wasn't a prince's true love kiss to break the enchantment it was the true love of a "mother" figure that would free Aurora from her slumber.

I walked out of that theater smiling from ear to ear, it was everything I was hoping for and so much more. It jumped to one of my top 5 all time favorite fantasies. I can't wait to see it again and again, and it will defiantly be purchased when it comes out on blu-ray. I give Maleficent an A for story, A for acting and A+ for visuals.... truly breath taking.


No comments:

Post a Comment