Saturday, October 18, 2014

So Many Superhero Movies

Today I picked up the Blu-ray of X-Men Days of Future Past. I really enjoyed this movie when I saw it in the theater and I knew it was going to be a much buy when it came out on blu-ray. Here's what came on the blu-ray.

  • Deleted Scenes (5:36) offer optional commentary by Bryan Singer.
  • Kitchen Sequence (6:28) is a grabbag of snippets including some audio of Singer explaining how he had to direct via texting for part of this sequence.
  • Gag Reel (5:40)
  • Double Take: Xavier & Magneto (11:51) focuses on the quartet playing these characters at different ages.
  • X-Men: Reunited (9:47) looks at the genesis of this project and how Singer wanted to reunite the original cast again.
  • Classification: M (11:54) profiles some of the other supporting mutants in the film.
  • Sentinels: For a Secure Future (9:19) focuses on (to cop a phrase from J.J. Abrams) bad robots.
  • Gallery: Trask Industries includes: Mutant Experiments, Blueprints, Sentinel Construction
  • Theatrical Trailers (7:09) 
I enjoyed all the extra but I felt there could have been more. These extra added up to about an hour of additional footage but I guess I've been spoiled by Peter Jackson and his Hobbit/Lord of the Rings movies as he gives us 9 hours of extras. And after I purchased this I found out that they are releasing a "directors" cut of the movie early next year so I assume they saved some of the additional extra for that release.. which I will be purchasing as well.


Today Warner Bros released a report detailing the next batch of Superhero DC movies that will be hitting theaters for the next six years. There are a ton of new movie on their way. When you add these to the Marvel lot and some of Sony's and Fox movies announced you have a butt load of new Superhero movies coming down the pipeline. Now I LOVE superhero movies but do you think this is overkill?

I remember back when I was a kid getting really excited when a superhero movie came out as we got one every five years or so. It was an event, something special to look forward to but nowadays it feels like every other movie that comes out is a superhero movie. Maybe I should just shut up and be happy that they are coming out as I know this "geek" trend will not last forever and these kinds of movies will go back to being made every once in a while. All I know is that it's going to be a pretty amazing movie season for geeks in the the next six years.

No comments:

Post a Comment