Friday, March 18, 2011

Win Win is very much a win win

I got to see a screening of Win Win tonight on the Fox Studio Lot in the Zanuck Theater.

This was a PGA (Producer's Guild of America) screening and I was able to bring along my friend Aaron. We got there got good seats and waited for the film to start. If you don't know what Win Win is about here's a synopsis: Struggling attorney Mike Flaherty (Paul Giamatti), who volunteers as a high-school wrestling coach, takes on the guardianship of an elderly client in a desperate attempt to keep his practice afloat. When the client's teenage grandson runs away from home and shows up on his grandfather's doorstep, Mike's life is turned upside down as his win-win proposition turns into something much more complicated than he ever bargained for.

I really enjoyed this movie, after watching so many action packed and ultra dramatic movies it was nice to see something that was very sweet and a warm slice of life story. It was funny, sad and heartfelt. The acting was great and it had a solid yet simple story. This is Alex Shaffer's (the main kid) first movie, and I found out that he has been wrestling since he was 5. He did a fantastic job of playing this kid just trying to survive the life that was given to him. Giamatti was of course fantastic as always and Amy Ryan who played Giamatti's wife was  my second favorite character just behind Alex.

I hope to see this again before it leaves theaters and it will be a blu-ray purchase when it comes out.

As a side note.. I love going to Fox as it's one of the coolest studio around and just to walk through the stages on think back to all the wonderful movies that were and are still being made there. They have this awesome and huge Star Wars mural as you drive in.. it always makes me smile when I see it.


No comments:

Post a Comment