Friday, December 14, 2012

Hobbitses & Friends

The Hobbit Gang

Today is all about The Hobbit.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey opens today. Though I had seen it twice already this was the big day that I had purchased tickets for back in November. But before going to the movies I got another screener and its the one I was looking forward to getting this movie season.. yep you guessed it.. I got The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. I was super excited to have gotten this as I plan to watch it over and over again.

For opening night I had planned to dress up in my Hobbit cosplay but because of all the stress of editing podcasts, prepping for this upcoming party, getting ready for Montana and the fact that we weren't really waiting in line for the movie I didn't see all the effort that goes into getting into costume was worth it. I kind of regret it as I enjoy dressing up and there weren't anyone else there dressed up so I would have stood out.

The time came for me to leave the house so I got in the jeep, started it up and noticed that my oil pressure gauge was going crazy. It's normally in the middle on 40 and moves very little. But as soon as I turned on the jeep it went directly up to 80.. I don't know what it means but it can't be good. I turned back around and went home to check the engine. I noticed oil on the engine block but I had to get going. I was the one with all the tickets so I took a chance and drove about 30 miles to the theater.

I got there with no major issues.. the oil pressure gauge was all over the place but everything seemed okay. I got there a bit earlier then I had planned so I went to the theater to get individual tickets printed out so I could give each person their own ticket and we don't have to wait for everyone to be there to sit down.

Slowly but surely one by one my friends showed up. We got some concessions and then headed into the theater. Everyone seemed to be very happy with their seats, which made me happy. I was still waiting on two people, Josh & Justin. I waited outside for as long as I could before finally leaving the tickets with the ticket taker and going in and taking seat.

So this is my third time watching The Hobbit.. this time like my first time I watched the movie in 3D HFR (48 fps) and I have to say that I enjoyed it much more this time around then I did my first time. I don't know if I was just use to it or the fact that it was my third time watching the movie. The crispness didn't bother me as much. There were still a few scenes where the CG looked like CG. But I still loved it and all of the folks I watched it with enjoyed it.

It also had this new audio configuration.. Dolby Atmos. there are like 40+ speakers in the walls completely surrounding the seating and then 18 overhead in the ceiling.. the sound is amazing!!!

Afterwards I found out that Josh, who did arrived 25 minutes late, was not allowed in.. this theater won't allow people into the theater after the movie has started. He wound up watching a later showing. Justin was MIA. But later found out that he just couldn't make it.

It was a lot of fun and I'm happy to say that even with this large group of people, everything worked out great (with exception to Josh).

I did manage to make it home safely, I think it's time to get a new car. I won't put anymore money into my Jeep... will need to resolve this when I get back from Montana.

Since I'm having my mini Christmas movie marathon tomorrow several folks who were at the Hobbit opening night decided to crash at my place.. so joining me tonight was Josh, Dallas, Brett, Anthony and Michele.

No comments:

Post a Comment