Monday, April 29, 2013

Country Music and Being Gay

About 15 or so years ago I fell in love with Country music and that is pretty much the only kind of music I listen to these days. I heard this song on Sirius XM radio the other day and instantly feel in love with it.



Highway Country is the Sirius XM station that played the song and they have a facebook page and asked folks to go there and let them know if they liked the song or not... so I did.  There were about 200 comments and I'd say that every 10th comment or so was negative. Saying that this song does not allign with their values, they prefer more traditional songs, there was even one gentlemen (if you can call him that) was saying that this song is teaching young girls to kiss girls. I don't have a clue where he heard that!!! She does mention kissing boys or kissing girls, if that's what you're into.

These naysayers didn't bother to listen for the true meaning of the song.. to be who you are, to love you want. Like with most religious types they tend to point out one or two lines in the bible and kind to ignore others to prove their point. It's small minded and idiotic.

Things like this reminds me that the majority of country music listeners are very "traditional" and that goes for country music singers as well.. they aren't very open minded. This causes a conflict in me.. as I love their music but they disapprove of who I am at my core. It's hard for me to spend my hard earned money on someone who hates me. I go back and fourth all the time. Not all country music stars are bigoted or closed minded, and I try and not support those who are open about it. But honestly I try not to think about it too often as it make me sick to my stomach.

No comments:

Post a Comment