Thursday, August 14, 2014

Call the Midwife & More Babylon 5

Last night my friend Jes mention a series that our friend America recommended to her. It's called Call the Midwife. It's a British show that started back in 2012. I had never heard of it but both Jes and America was singing it's praise so I checked out the first episode this morning.

Here's some info about the series.... The plot follows newly qualified midwife Jenny Lee and the work of midwives and the nuns of Nonnatus House, a nursing convent, part of an Anglican religious order, coping with the medical problems in the deprived Poplar district of London's desperately poor East End in the 1950s. The Sisters and midwives carry out many nursing duties across the community. However, with between 80 and 100 babies being born each month in Poplar alone, the primary work is to help bring safe childbirth to women in the area and to look after their countless newborns.

Episode one ended and I was hooked. It's charming, sweet, fun, sad, tense and emotional... yes I cried. Then episode two started and introduced a new character named Chummy and she instantly became my favorite character on the show. I couldn't tell you why, she just was. Every episode of season one continue to expand the characters, we got little tidbits of information about each of the main characters. Every episode of season one was compelling and it sucked me in within the first minute. Every birth was a nail biter as you didn't know if something would go wrong or if the baby was going to die.

There is just something about these British period shows that are so compelling/addictive. It's the same with Downton Abbey. After the first episode I was hooked and I have loved every minute since.

I watched all of Season one and then went on to watch the Christmas special before moving onto a few episodes of Season two before having to stop and head over to my buddy Robert's place to continue our Babylon 5 first time viewing. We haven't watched any B5 for over a month so I was looking forward to continuing our viewing.

For tonights TV night we watched 3 episodes from Season Five.

First up was S5 Ep4 "A View From The Gallery" A day in the life of 2 maintenance workers on Babylon 5. As crisis arises, they encounter the command staff, and the ambassadors each dealing with the crisis.

Interesting episode, seeing the main characters through the eyes of 2 lower level characters. Didn't think I'd like it but it actually was a nice episode. The two "maintenance" workers were very relatable and likeable. Wouldn't mind seeing them again from time to time.

Next was S5 Ep5 "Learning Curve" Two Minbari Rangers-in-training come to the station and learn a difficult lesson. A new underworld boss tries to take control of Down-below.

This was an okay episode, nothing to special. I think the underworld boss was an idiot trying to take down some chief members of the B5 crew.  We learned a bit more about the Rangers. They eluded to something in this episode about Sheridan and the new commander Lochley.

And the final episode of the night S5 Ep6 "Strange Relations" Bester comes to Babylon 5 with several bloodhound units in an attempt to arrest and detain the colony of rogue telepaths. Someone attempts to assassinate Londo Mollari prompting Delenn's suggstions that G'Kar becomes Londo Mollari's bodyguard.

Well we find out that Sheridan and Lochley were married once, which I didn't see coming. We knew there was something going on but I didn't expect that. Love the "love/hate buddy" team up of Londo and G'Kar again. They started this way in season one and I'm glad they are back to this type of friendship. We find out that someone is trying to kill Londo and I'm sure will get more into this story as the series progresses. Bester was back and horrible as ever. I'm glad Lochley came up with her plan that would give the telepaths 2 months to figure out a game plan. We see Leta completely join this band of telepaths and we also see that she has some major powers that I'm sure will play a part in the rest of the season.

Over all it was a good day of TV... Found a new TV series that I adore and continue to watch a TV series that I'm well invested into.

Oh and I almost forgot to mention that it's Day 4 of my photo countdown to my 44th Birthday. Here I am at age 4. 

No comments:

Post a Comment