Saturday, October 25, 2014

Watching my GI

So being pre-diabetic sucks when it comes to food selection. Not only do I have to worry about sugar in food but also carbs as many carbs turn to sugar once they're in the body. I already have a limited diet and now I have to worry about losing weight while not spiking my sugar levels, it's a tough balance.

It comes back to the Glycemic index, it's tough to know what has a high GI and what doesn't. Things you think would, don't and things you think wouldn't do. Not all fruit and vegetables are low in GI. Most beans are good for you but there it depends on how they are cooked. Some pasta is okay but the more you cook it the more sugar is produced. Same with some fruits.. the ripper they get the more sugar is made. In the past I would eat alot of rice cakes as they are low in everything but come to find out that they are high in GI and one of the worse things I could eat.

For now I'm focusing on eating more meats (chicken, turkey, beef and fish) as they are very low GI. I know that I'm not going to change my eating habits over night but it's been a week and I have cut out unnecessary sugars like candies and juices. I've also reduces eating potatoes and/or pasta to once a week. It's going to be a continued struggle and I know I won't be perfect everyday but I need to work on losing weight in the next three months so my tests come back and say that's I'm no longer pre-diabetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment