Thursday, November 27, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving & Boxtrolls Review

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

I'm spending this Thanksgiving at my brother's house with my brother, sister-in-law, nephew and niece. As well as my dad and several of my brother's friends, Lora's family and my friends Lydia and Lisa. There were a total of about 18 people here for dinner.

I was doing the bulk of the cooking for Thanksgiving dinner with the help of my sister-in-law Lora. Everything went fairly well, besides the juices over flowing and causing the oven to smoke moments before everyone was going to arrive. But with the help of my brother the crisis was adverted and everyone seemed to love the dinner. Many went back for seconds, which is always a good thing. My main goal for the meal was to serve everything hot, that's always the tough part when making such a large dinner with many items. But from everyones positive reactions I'd say we did a pretty good job.

Afterwards a group of us sat around and watched one of my screeners The Boxtrolls. I had never seen this but from the previews it looks cute. Here's a quick synopsis: A young orphaned boy raised by underground cave-dwelling trash collectors tries to save his friends from an evil exterminator. Based on the children's novel 'Here Be Monsters' by Alan Snow.

Overall I enjoyed it, it didn't thrill me as other animated shows have but it was entertaining. For me I loved the stylized look of it as it was done "old school" stop animation. The story was good and I enjoyed the characters. Would I buy this on blu-ray? Probably not.. I have seen it and I will watch it again with folks who want to watch it but it's not something I can watch over and over again. I give The Boxtrolls a solid B-

No comments:

Post a Comment