Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Scorpion, Christmas Card & Into the Woods - My Review

Today I watched the mid season finale of one of my favorite new TV shows, Scorpion. Most of the episodes are extremely suspenseful but this last episode was so tense that I think I stood and paced with anticipation for the outcome. From beginning to about 2/3'ds of the way through it was tense and I didn't see how they would get out of this situation. And then at the very end all the emotions started to come out and after being tense for 45 minutes it was nice to get that emotional release. Can't wait for this series to return next year.

I saw this Christmas Card on a show I watch called "Right This Minute" so I found it on you tube. Now there is debate on whether it's a legit flip book type animation or if it's pure animation simulating the flip book style. Either way I love the song and it's pretty EPIC...


And as I mentioned in my previous blog post, I got the screener for Into the Woods and I said I figured I'd be watching it sooner then later as many of my friends want to see it.. and sure enough tonight I headed over to my friend Jes and Dallas' place with my buddy Robert to watch Into the Woods.

For those of you who don't know the story here's a brief synopsis: Into the Woods is a modern twist on the beloved Brothers Grimm fairy tales in a musical format that follows the classic tales of Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Jack and the Beanstalk, and Rapunzel-all tied together by an original story involving a baker and his wife, their wish to begin a family and their interaction with the witch who has put a curse on them.

This has been a stage play for many years and it's even on DVD (a recorded version of the stage play) which I saw and really enjoyed. So I had an idea of what to expect but what was funny is when the movie starts and it goes right into musical mode and I was taken back. Though I knew it was a musical I didn't realize that the movie too was going to be a musical.. yeah I know I'm an idiot. 

I don't want to get to spoilery but I enjoyed the movie overall, the music is fantastic, the actors were great and the story, though sad at times, it pretty fun. I love when you see actors that you don't realized could sing belt out a tune. It funny to me as the promo/trailers show alot of Johnny Depp in the film and he really only has the one scene and one song (which I felt was the weakest of all of them). I like that they kept to more of the "original" Cinderella storyline with the evil step sisters. Overall it's a very Charming film. I give Into the Woods a solid A

No comments:

Post a Comment