Thursday, July 7, 2016

Sulu Gay & Dinner in Hogsmeade

Today it was announced that the character of Hikaru Sulu from the Star Trek series is gay and will have a brief scene with his husband and daughter in the upcoming Star Trek Beyond movie. It is said that this a tribute to the original actor George Takei who played Sulu in the original Star Trek TV series and movies. I love this idea of having a character that we've all known and loved for over 50 years just happen to be gay. His sexuality was never addressed in the original TV series or movies. We knew he had a daughter as she's in Star Trek Generations but that doesn't contradict him being gay and they actually include his daughter in the next movie. I think it's pretty fantastic.

Well George wasn't amused and what shocked alot of people said "Unfortunately, it’s a twisting of Gene’s creation, to which he put in so much thought. I think it’s really unfortunate." You can more of his thoughts on the topic HERE. I respect his opinion, and I see where he is coming from but I find it a bit disrespectful in how he responded to the news. Instead of saying thank you for the tribute and having this be a good thing for the gay community and Star Trek it's caused some negative press for the new movie and that's sad.

I for one am happy to hear that Sulu is gay and that there is a scene in the movie with his husband and daughter and that it's not really the focus of scene.. it normalized homosexuality.  Anyways I can't wait to see the new movie.

After work today my friend Lauren and I headed to Hogsmeade and to the Three Broomsticks to grab dinner and some butterbeer. It still amazes and excites me that I live so close to Universal Hollywood and can visiting The Wizarding World of Harry Potter almost any time I want to... so happy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment