Monday, April 30, 2012

Out of Work Woes

With April ending I have now been out of work for seven months. I've never gone this long without a gig. My last dry spell was for six months and that was tough. Working as a freelancer you learn to save money while you have the work, but seven months is to much time off and the money I did save has been long gone. Luckily I got a nice tax refund this year but that too is almost gone. I'm trying not to panic or drop back into my depression that I was in at the beginning of the year but it's hard. I do have family that can help financially but I have never asked for anything my entire life and it's very hard to ask now, but I can't lose my house so I need to swallow my pride and ask for assistance.


I'm a 41 year old man, this is not how I thought I'd be living my life in my 40's.

But it hasn't all been bad, since I have had this time off I am taking advantage of it. I've worked since I was 12 years old, I rarely take vacations or time off so part of me thinks I deserve this break. I've been having movie marathons with friends, I traveled to Orlando for Harry Potter theme park and recently to Montana for my buddy Chris. Of course you battle with the idea of spending money that you know you'll need later but sometimes you just have to say screw it and move forward. Somehow things always work out.

I don't know what the future holds for me, all I can do is keep my chin up and hope for the best. In the mean time I'm going to try and enjoy this time off before all the craziness starts up again.

No comments:

Post a Comment