Thursday, November 15, 2012

Redbox & Magic Mike

I use to have Netflix (DVD service) and found that I would get a DVD and let it sit on my table for three months.. by the time I would watch it I'd have paid the same amount if I would have purchased the blu ray. So I stopped getting Netflix. I had heard of Redbox when they first came out but didn't pay much attention to them since I had Netflix.

I signed up to the service about a year ago but never actually rented a DVD/Blu ray until today. Though I have a ton of TV still to watch I feel like I'm falling behind with movies I want to see. One movie that I wanted to see was Magic Mike, yes it has cute guys who are strippers but I had heard that the storyline was good. So this would be my first rental from Redbox.

Here's a synopsis: Magic Mike (Channing Tatum), an experienced stripper, takes a younger performer called The Kid under his wing and schools him in the arts of partying, picking up women, and making easy money. As he keeps at the top of the game in the clubs, Mike struggles with trying to develop a relationship with a girl he really likes. The dramatic comedy screenplay was inspired by Tatum's work as a 19-year-old stripper before he made it in Hollywood.

My Review: I think I had high hopes going into this film because of all the hype I heard when it was released. I have to say I did not enjoy it overall. The eye candy was nice but half naked men does not make for a movie great. I felt the story just kind of dragged, it was described as a comedy/drama.. there is very little comedy in this movie.. I felt it to be very dramatic and maybe that's why I didn't enjoy it as much as I was hoping. I did enjoy the last half hour of the movie. I liked the relationship Mike had with The Kid's older sister. I thought the acting was pretty good, was one of the best parts of this movie. Overall I'm glad I saw it, but I don't plan to see it again. I would give this film a C+

No comments:

Post a Comment