Friday, June 7, 2013

Much Ado About Nothing - My Review

So I didn't plan on seeing this movie in the theater. I mean I'm a big Joss Whedon fan and a love Shakespeare but I figured this movie would be just as good on blu-ray on my 60 inch TV and since I'm out of work I shouldn't be spending money on a theater ticket. Well my friend Anne posted a link to an event at the Arclight Hollywood, it was a screening of this movie and then a panel afterwards that would include Joss himself.

Next thing I knew I was clicking on the link, selecting my seat and purchasing the ticket. At the time this was the only showing but a week or so ago they added a bunch more including one at the Dome with a panel afterwards. Some friends returned their tickets and got tickets for the later showing.. I stuck with my original plan. Joining me though we were sitting far apart from each other. Jes, Jen, Anne and Nicki... and to my surprise my friend Amy.

So I had my popcorn and soda and I was ready for the movie. A few days ago I saw something that said this movie was in black and white, and then today before I headed out my friend Thomas mentioned that it's all done in Shakespeare's original language. So I kind of knew what to expect when it started.

As I mentioned I enjoy Shakespeare but I've never read Much Ado About Nothing. So I had no idea what the story was or anything that was going to happen. It took a good ten to fifteen minutes to get use to the language but afterwards you start to understand the story it was like second nature. I really enjoyed the movie. I mean I'm a huge Whedonite and most of the cast were from previous Whedon projects so that made it extra fun. This was shot in only 12 days at Joss' house. This was like a pet project for Joss.

The acting is incredible. I don't know how these guys remember such long and very complicated speeches.. they were just amazing. I love the way it was shot, I'm not a big fan of B&W but this worked. It was strange at first to hear the "old" language set in a modern setting with cell phones and such. It was a very entertaining movie and I'm glad I saw it on the big screen. I give it a solid B+

Afterwards there was a panel, joining Joss were actors from the movie. Amy Acker, Alexis Denisof, Clark Gregg and Tom Lenk (come to find out that the Dome screening had four more actors join in). The panel was a blast, it was great hearing how this project came together, how the actors had been doing Shakespeare for fun at Joss' house... I guess Joss had parties all the time and they did this just for fun. It was great hearing everyone's love of Shakespeare and how they have all wanted to do Shakespeare. Clark Gregg had a fun story of how he was suppose to do a play and had to decline being in the movie but the play was delayed two weeks and that normally that isn't enough time to do a movie but for this movie it was so he got to do it.

All in all it was a fun, entertaining evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment