Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters - My Review

After watching The Wolverine I went and saw Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters. Now the previews for this movie got me really excited. I enjoyed Percy Jackson and the Lightening Thief (the first movie). I also have read/listen to the first 4 books in the series Percy Jackson and the Olympians, The Lightening Thief,  The Sea of Monsters, The Titan's Curse and The Battle of the Labyrinth and I started the fifth and final book The Last Olympian but there were issues with the audio book so I never finished the series. I always had intentions to go back and finish it as there are a ton of spin book books from this series and I loved every of this series.

I know with the first movie it didn't do that well at the box office (they were hoping for Harry Potter numbers) and there was complaints that it wasn't a very faithful adaptation. And since I had just read the series when the first movie came out in 2010 I noticed some big changes but honestly it didn't bother me. It think they adapted the story very well. So I was surprised when I heard they were making book two into a movie, but when I went to check out the box office of the first movie it made more sense.. the movie cost around $95 million to make and only grossed $88 million in the US, but thankfully it did well overseas and wound up with a worldwide total of $227 million which is more then twice what it cost and it also did well in DVD sales.

So here the synopsis of Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters; The magical borders that protect Camp Half-Blood have been poisoned by a mysterious enemy, and unless a cure is found, the only safe haven for demigods will be destroyed. Percy and his friends must journey into the Sea of Monsters to save their camp by finding the Golden Fleece. But first, Percy will discover a stunning new secret about his family--he may not be the only son of Poseidon.

Here's my review of Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters (there will be SPOILERS). I LOVED IT!!!!! I walked out of that theater with a huge smile on my face. Normally when you walk out of the theater there is always one or two things that you didn't quite like but I actually walked out of this movie without a single criticism. I haven't done that since Avengers.

I thought the sfx were amazing, the acting was great and the story was fun. Now it's been about three years since I have read the book and I honestly couldn't tell you if this adaptation was any better then the first book but you know what.. I don't care.. this movie rocked it. My favorite character from the movie had to be Tyson. Tyson is Percy's half brother. Seems that Poseidon got busy with a nymph. And the result of Gods and Nymphs are cyclops. I really enjoyed Tyson in the books but I totally fell in love with him in the movie. I think I identified with him more. Socially awkward, uncomfortable with his appearance but he's so loving and he's so happy to be part of the gang. Nathan Fillion plays Hermes and is fantastic, he's in it for about ten minutes but it's a very memorable scene. He even get to do a reference to Firefly, which is AWESOME!!! Hermes is talking to Percy and mentioned a TV show that he loved (something about Zeus) but then says... "Greatest television show ever so of course, canceled." If you're a Firefly fan you're gonna love it.

After seeing this movie I now not only want to go back and watch the first movie again, I want to re-read the entire series and finish the fifth book. If you haven't read the books.. I strongly suggest you add them to your reading list and if you haven't seen the first movie.. please do yourself a favor and rent it, stream it or better yet go out and buy then see them movie ASAP.. I want the three book made into a film. I give Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters an big ol' A for AWESOME!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment