Friday, August 2, 2013

Scary News

So today I had my doctors appointment, I left my house at 8am for a 10am appointment as you never know how bad traffic is going to be and my doctor is in Los Angeles. I got there in about an hour and 15 minutes so I played Candy Crush for 30 minutes before heading to the office.

I wasn't actually seeing my Doctor, Dr. Mills today I was seeing Peter the nurse practitioner. I've had appointments with him before and he's just as nice and well versed in medicine as my doctor. This was my six month follow up so it was a quick check up unlike the long ones where they poke everywhere and check everything. After the check up we looked at my blood work from last time. Blood pressure and cholesterol are good (thanks to meds) but there was one red flag.. my sugar levels were too high. I'm not going to go into great detail.. needless to say that I'm on the verge of being a diabetic.

I have to admit that this isn't a surprise, I have had weight issues my enter life, but the past 10 years I have gone from 165 to my current weight of 210. If you follow my blog you know that I have tried to lose weight but it's hard to change my diet mindset of the past 42 years. I'm not opposed to working out..if fact I love it.. I love the way it makes me feel.. but being at home and not working makes you very lethargic, unmotivated. I struggle everyday just to get outside and do yard work or continue with the painting of my house. I struggle with editing podcasts or writing my script for the webseries I'm working on. Everyday is a struggle.

I know those are just excuses. At night I think of all the things I could have gotten done during the day if I wasn't so lazy... and I hate myself for it.

But things have to change, no more excuses.. I know it's not going to be easy and I will stumble and fall every now and then but if I continue down the path I am going I will A, not be here for much longer or B, I will not be able to do all the things I still want to do in life. And neither of those options are what I want for me. And the good news is.. If I can lose the weight and eat healthier I can reverse my potential diabetes scare.

So starting today.. the workouts are back on, diet is going to be a work in progress.. I'll start with cutting back on fast food, white carbs and sweets and will go from there. I promised Peter (nurse practitioner) that I would lose 20 pounds by my next six month check up and I'm determined to do it.

Wish me luck!!!

3 comments:

  1. Check out http://examine.com/supplements/Berberine/ - root extract that is 1:1 as effective as metformin in reducing A1C/etc.

    Also ever had a full hormone panel done? Testosterone/Thyroid/Adrenal/etc?

    Also get a nice exercise bike or an Erg (rower) for inside. No excuse then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't think of it as a diet, but a minor lifestyle change. If you think of it as a diet you will inevitably fall off it. If you have to call it a diet makeup something awesome like The Zombie Diet, using your brains to increase your health to stave off the increase bodily decay. Carbs are your enemy. Take a machete, chain saw or other melee weapon of choice to them to them. YOU CAN DO IT, BECAUSE YOU ARE AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete