Tuesday, September 24, 2013

New Series: Dads, S.H.I.E.L.D. & Fangasm

Super excited for the new TV season, there are several really cool sounding scifi/fantasy series coming out.  Ones that I'm really looking forward to are Almost Human, Reign, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Fangasm, Once Upon a Time in Wonderland and The Tomorrow People. Other non-genre shows I'm looking forward to seeing are, We Are Men, Dads, Michael J. Fox Show and The Crazy One.

So far I've only seen Dads, which premiered last week and tonight Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Fangasm premiered.

Dads is a 30 minute comedy with Seth Green. Here's a short synopsis: Two successful guys in their 30's have their lives turned upside down when their nightmare dads unexpectedly move in with them.

Seth is really the only reason why I am watching it and he is by far my favorite character. I'm not head over heals in love with it but it's enjoyable. I'll continue to watch for now.

Fangasm on Syfy is a six-part docuseries that celebrates the incredibly unique, often misunderstood, and infinitely fascinating fan girl and fan boy culture. The show follows seven pop culture-obsessed fans (whose passions range from comic books and collectibles to science fiction and fantasy) living together in an LA apartment complex and working together at Stan Lee's Comikaze Expo. The seven must contend with each others over sized personalities and conflicting fandom as they vie for an opportunity to work within Lee's organization. Because when different passions come together, you get a real big bang.

Well I've only seen the first episode and I'm always a bit leery with it come to series like this as you don't know if they are going to make fun of "geeks" or really show them as they truly are. I have to say so far so good. They have a wide range of socially awkward geeks. Some of the things they say makes me cringe but it's true to life. I have some friends who are just like these guys on the show. I hope they continue to embrace the difference in geekyness, I mean you can poke fun at us, as we poke fun at ourselves as long as it's all done in good taste. This first episode had me in tears at the end..  I look forward to watching the entire 6 part series.

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: Agent Phil Coulson puts together a small team of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Strategic Homeland Intervention, Enforcement and Logistics Division) agents to handle strange new cases. Each case will test the team in cooperation and ingenuity as they try to work together figuring out newly emerging superhuman individuals in the world.

This is probably one of my most anticipated new series that I have been waiting for. I'm a huge fan of all the Marvels movies and I've always been a HUGE fan of Joss Whedon. I actually know/are friends with Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen, I've been to there house to interview Maurissa.

(SPOILERS) This series picks up pretty right after the events of Avengers. And I have to say it did not disappoint. I loved every minute of this pilot. The humor is so Joss, the action/fight scenes were amazing and the sfx were great for a TV budget. I loved that Cobie Smulders was back as Maria Hill, even if it's just s guest spot. I liked seeing Ron Glass back on a Whedon show. I like how they explained Coulson's return but then have that scene between Hill and the Doctor (Ron Glass' character) about how he doesn't know and Hill says he can never know. I'm sure will get into more on that but I'm looking forward to seeing where that goes. I liked Fit and Sim, the none combat, more scientific team. I liked their chemistry.. now sure if they are more brother, sister or husband, wife. Got some more unknown history with Ming Nan's character.. she's bad ass and can kick butt. So many great characters, I can't wait to see where this series goes. This series lived up to and surpassed all the hype, which believe me is difficult to do.

I'll continue to blog my thoughts on these and the other series when they premiere.

1 comment:

  1. well i have actually watched a few of the shows you mentioned. i like what i am seeing, i just hope the numbers are there to keep them around.

    ReplyDelete