Friday, September 27, 2013

The Crazy Ones & The Michael J. Fox Show - My Review

Today I watched 2 more new TV series. The Crazy Ones and The Michael J. Fox Show.

First up was The Crazy Ones, Here's a description of the series... Academy Award winner Robin Williams returns to series television in this single-camera workplace comedy about a larger-than-life advertising genius whose unorthodox methods and unpredictable behavior would get him fired... if he weren't the boss. Simon Roberts is the head of a powerful agency, with the biggest clients and brands in the world, but even more important to him is having his daughter Sydney (Sarah Michelle Gellar) by his side. As his partner, Sydney is Simon's exact opposite - focused, organized and eager to make a name for herself, but also too busy parenting her father, which she'd resent if he wasn't so brilliant at what he does. Joining them in the firm are the dashing and talented Zach; art director Andrew, who's as hard-working as he is neurotic; and the beautiful and deceptively smart assistant Lauren. With his team and his daughter behind him, Simon continues to set the advertising world on fire, and it looks like they are definitely buying what these crazy ones are selling.

I wanted to see this one because it has Robin Williams, who I just love and Sarah Michelle Gellar, who played Buffy in one of my all time favorite TV series, Buffy The Vampire Slayer. Overall it was a good show. It had it's laughs, Robin Williams is playing his typical Robin Williams crazy person. I liked the interaction between the two. One thing I really enjoyed about this series is it had heart, it wasn't just your slapstick jokes. Not only was it funny at times but at the core it's about this father and daughter team. They didn't knock it out of the park for me like with other comedy pilots like The Big Bang Theory but I do plan on coming back again and seeing how the story progresses.

The other new TV series that I watched was The Michael J. Fox Show. I'm a huge Michael J. Fox fan, I grew with him on Family Ties and loved him on Spin City. He's amazing in all his movies including my favorite Back to the Future trilogy. So I was really looking forward to this one. Here's a description of the series.... Look who's making the news again! One of NY's most beloved news anchors, Mike Henry (Michael J. Fox), put his career on hold to spend more time with his family and focus on his health after he was diagnosed with Parkinson's. But now five years later, with the kids busy growing up and Mike growing restless, it just might be time for him to get back to work. Having never wanted Mike to leave in the first place, his old boss Harris Green (Wendell Pierce) jumped at the chance to get him back on TV. The trick, as it's always been, was to make Mike think it was his idea. After several - okay, many - failed attempts, Mike's family, anxious to see him out of the house, finally succeeded in getting him to "run into" Green. Now their plan is in motion. He'll be back to juggling home, family and career, just like the old days - only better.

I really enjoyed this series. They had two back to back episodes so we got the pilot and episode two. The biggest thing for me about this series was seeing Michale J. Fox back on TV. It could have been total crap and I would have still loved it because it was MJ Fox. Luckily the series is very funny and sweet. Of course he makes fun of himself as does his family, but they do it in such a loving way. The show really isn't about a guy with Parkinson's, if I remember correctly they never mention what illness he has, it's just a father dealing with his family, work and his illness. This will continue to be a "must" see for me every Thursday.

Out of the two series I would say I enjoyed The Michael J. Fox Show more then The Crazy Ones but rating wise The Crazy Ones is doing better but that might be because it comes on right after The Big Bang Theory which is CBS's highest rated comedy. I hope both shows make it a full season.

No comments:

Post a Comment