Thursday, July 31, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy - My Review

Today I went to Universal Citywalk to have dinner with some of Lydia's friends and to see Guardians of the Galaxy in IMAX 3D.

I don't really know much about this comic book series. I had never heard of it until they started making plans for this movie so I went into this movie with an open mind. I had seen a few of the trailers and it looked fun and something that I would like so I was excited to see it.

First let me say... Guardians of the Galaxy is fantastic, pure and simple. It's witty and snappy sense of humor, fantastic writing, unbelievable looking special effects (I saw it in 3D, and the space scenes were mind blowing), well rounded and lovable characters and an overall story that weaves its way effortlessly into the Marvel movie mythos.

But it also stand out from all those other Marvel movies. Guardians of the Galaxy is a weird, risky prospect for a studio that's all about relatable humans in recognizable settings. Maybe that's why it works: faced with a tougher sell, they've gone the extra mile to make something special and boy did they. It's one of those rare, jam-packed rides that makes me want to just go get right back in line and enjoy it all over again.

I feel Guardians of the Galaxy succeeds in not only introducing and connecting these relatively unknown characters into the Marvel Movieverse, but in making it one of the most enjoyable and unforgettable of the bunch. The film's mischievous misfits presented great chemistry along with its dynamic supporting cast. In a mere two hours the characters grow and attach themselves to your heart, which is incredible for 5 major characters never before introduced to the Marvel Movieverse.

The whole cast is phenomenal, but it's evident that Rocket (voiced by Bradley Cooper) and Groot (voiced by Vin Diesel) steal the show. Chris Pratt is fantastic as StarLord, Zoe Saldana is amazing as the assassin with a heart of gold, Gamora and Dave Bautista's character Drax is just hilarious, literally.

And last but not least is the music, OMG you couldn't ask for a better soundtrack. From beginning to end the nostalgic 70's music is spot on and brings in a bit of familiarity to these very alien worlds. I know alot of my friends have said as soon as they got out of the movie they purchased the soundtrack and I have to say that thought crossed my mind as well.

I give Guardians of the Galaxy a solid A and I can't wait to see it again (which I will be doing on Saturday) and this is a definite buy when it comes out on blu-ray. 

No comments:

Post a Comment