Saturday, August 2, 2014

Xena, Guardians and Friends

Before I get into my day I wanted to share this really awesome geeky mini fridge that I saw that someone posted about on Facebook. Of course it's made by ThinkGeek. I don't really need a mini fridge but if I had the extra money I'd surely buy one.. I mean Resistance is Futile. You can check it out on ThinkGeek's website HERE.

Thomas came over today to watch more Xena. We continued were we left off with season two.

First up was S2 Ep4 "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" Xena, Gabrielle and Joxer face the evil god Bacchus, who turns innocent girls into bloody wild women called the Bacchae. While Bacchus tries to turn Xena and Gabrielle into Bacchae, they will have the help of Orpheus, who has lost his body and is a speaking head.

I enjoyed the story of this episode but OMG the way this was shot just killed me. Shaky camera to the extreme. Weird close up and blends, loud music for no reason. Thomas said they did it to try and hide the bad effects but I'd take bad looking effects over how badly this was shot.

Then we watched S2 Ep5 "Return of Callisto" When Callisto escapes from prison, she builds an army of evil and sends Joxer to tell Xena that she's going to continue killing. Perdicus marries Gabrielle, but Callisto interrupts their honeymoon.

I really enjoyed this episode. As soon as Perdicus married Gabrielle I turned to Thomas and said.. oh he's going to die and sure enough minutes later he did. Callisto is pure evil!! And at the end I thought for a moment that Xena was going to save her but I'm happy that she didn't.

Third episode of the day was S2 Ep6 "Warrior... Princess... Tramp" Xena comes back to help Princess Diana once more. She takes the place of Diana, but there's an unexpected problem: another Xena look-alike, a tramp called Meg, is already trying to supplant the princess.

I can't believe they made another one of these.. this time there is a third person who looks exactly like Xena. It was campy fun, nothing you could take serious. Joxer has been in the past few episodes and I'm really enjoying his character. Lucy Lawless is amazing bringing these three completely different characters to life.

After the third episode Lydia, Aaron (who arrived about halfway through episode 6), Thomas and I headed to the Arclight Sherman Oaks to meet up with a few other friends to watch Guardains of the Galaxy. This was my original plan to see the movie before Lydia surprised me with Thursday tickets. I was super excited to see it again. This time we were seeing it in 2D but with Dolby Atmos audio which I just love. I didn't think it was possible but I loved it even more!!!

Afterward we went to Buffalo Wild Wing for some tasty dinner.

Back at my place Thomas and I continued our Xena marathon.

We started back up with S2 Ep7 "Intimate Stranger" Callisto, with Ares' help, takes Xena's body and leaves Xena, in Callisto's body, in Tartarus. 

I knew this was coming, I remember when Lucy Lawless broke her pelvis (I thought it was her back) and was replaced by the actress who played Callisto. I actually liked how they did this. Instead of shutting down production or cutting a few episodes the writers came up with an ingenious way to cover for Lucy while she recovered. The changed the ending and instead of Xena getting her body back, they re-shot it so she didn't

We watcehd S2 Ep8 "Ten Little Warlords" Someone has made Ares mortal by stealing his sword, which leaves him incapable of putting Xena back in her own body and removes his control over the anger of peaceful people.

Again we have Xena in Callisto's body and once again I enjoyed the story, but these gods really need to keep a better hold of their things.. first Hades helmet and now Ares' sword. I liked how everyone was getting angry especially Joxer and Gabrielle who become a comedic duo in this episode. And I did like the end when Xena was returned to her body.

Then we moved on to S2 Ep9 "A Solstice Carol" Over one holiday night, Xena and Gabrielle stage mini-dramas in King Silvus' bedroom to get him to change his bitter ways.

I had seen this episode recently. I figure I must have been flipping through the channels and came across this as I had not seen it all but I defiantly saw a big part of it. Though this isn't a favorite of Thomas' I actually enjoyed this "Christmas" episode.  Not a lot of physical fighting in this episode as Lucy (Xena) was still recovering.

The second to last episode for the evening was S2 Ep10 "The Xena Scrolls" In 1940, two archaeologists look for the legendary scrolls that Gabrielle wrote about her adventures with Xena.

This was another episode that I had seen at some point. It's a departure from your "regular" episodes. I like that we see the roles of Gabrielle and Xena reversed. I also enjoyed the fact that the stories of Xena have become legends and myths. Again very little physical fighting in this episode.

And the final episode of the night and this round of Xena watching with Thomas was S2 Ep11 "Here She Comes... Miss Amphipolis" A fragile peace may be derailed by behind-the-scenes mayhem at a beauty pageant, in which the rulers of all three former enemies have entered their girlfriends as contestants.

Of all the episodes I have seen this one felt the most "modern" and most ridiculous. I mean I liked the meaning behind it all and that all the ladies (and drag queen) learned something about themselves but it was an episode about a beauty pageant... come on!!! Still, it had it's moments.

After a fun filled day of Xena and Guardians I had to say not only goodnight to my favorite Irish man Thomas but also goodbye as he heads back home (via Calgary) tomorrow morning. It's sad to see him go but I am happy that we spent a lot of time together on this trip. Safe travels buddy and I can't wait to get together again for some more awesome Xena marathons.

No comments:

Post a Comment