Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The Theory of Everything - My Review

After work today I went to a PGA screening of "The Theory of Everything" Here's a quick synopsis: This is the extraordinary story of one of the world's greatest living minds, the renowned astrophysicist Stephen Hawking, who falls deeply in love with fellow Cambridge student Jane Wilde. Once a healthy, active young man, Hawking received an earth-shattering diagnosis at 21 years of age. With Jane fighting tirelessly by his side, Stephen embarks on his most ambitious scientific work, studying the very thing he now has precious little of - time. Together, they defy impossible odds, breaking new ground in medicine and science, and achieving more than they could ever have dreamed. 

Here's the trailer:

 

I saw this trailer a few months ago and I knew I wanted to see this movie. Now I'm not a huge Stephen Hawking fanboy, I mean I know who he is and have a idea of what he is known for but I really don't know alot about him personally. So besides getting to know him better the trailer really tugged on my heartstrings and if you know me, you know I'm a sucker for romance.

So when I got the email from the PGA announcing a pre-release screening of this movie, I jumped at it and invited my best bud Robert to join me. It's not due to be released in theaters until Nov. 7th.

Besides the movie screening there was also a Q&A with cast members Eddie Redmayne and Felicity Jones, Producer Lisa Bruce and Producer/Writer Anthony McCarten. 

Here's my review: I really enjoyed this movie, it's wasn't just a story about Stephen Hawking but a story about Stephen and his wife Jane and their love affair that lasted nearly 30 years. Come to find out (from the Q&A afterwards) that this movie is based on the autobiography of Jane Wilde and that both Jane and Stephen were somewhat involved in the movie. But there was a nice balance of story between the two of them. Towards the end of the film when their marriage was beginning to unravel you never really picked a side. It felt like it was a natural evolution to their relationship.

This isn't a story about Stephen Hawking's theories about Black holes and such, though it's all part of the film this is really a story about their relationship and lives. I expected to be a big ball of tears by the end but the way it was presented I only chocked up a few times and a few tears may have fallen. It was more inspirational and beautiful then sad and depressing.

The leads were amazing... Eddie Redmayne should defiantly be nominated for the Best Actor Oscar. His portrayal of Hawking is full of intelligence, poise, grace, eventual frustration/devastation, and an eventual passion and humble love for life. There were times when you forgot your watching an actor playing a role. When you think back to how Stephen Hawking was before he was diagnostic with ALS to the very end of the movie, you'd never guess that was the same person.

Felicity Jones was just as impressive as Jane Wilde. Such a strong women, who had to deal with so much so young. She was an amazing spirit and I'm sure she's the reason Stephen has lived for as long as he has. She was a devoted wife and mother as well as his sole care giver for many years.

Is this a movie that I would want to own on blu-ray, probably not as I can't seem myself watching it over and over again but with that said I'd definitely wouldn't mind watching it from time to time. I'd give The Theory of Everything a solid A-

No comments:

Post a Comment