Friday, December 26, 2014

Please Like Me - My Review

Between Christmas Specials I was trying to catch up on my blogging and when I was blogging about HBO's Looking I went looking for pictures for the blog and found an ad for something called Please Like Me. It peaked my interest so I goggled it. Please Like Me is an Australian television comedy drama series starring Josh Thomas. The series premiered on 28 February 2013 on ABC2 in Australia.

Here's a synopsis for the first episode. As his 21st birthday approaches, Josh has an eventful 24 hours. First he is dumped by his girlfriend, which leads to his realization that he may be gay. After that shocker, he moves back into his family home to help care for his mother, who recently attempted suicide. With his life in disarray, big challenges await Josh in his immediate future, which is especially difficult for someone like him who has a natural aversion to drama and emotion. So he can deal with it all -- only in his own awkward, self-centered way.

I acquired all six episode from season one and watched them back to back to back, it does help that they are only 30 minute episodes. I was hooked with the first scene from the first episode. It's hard to put into words why I loved this series but something about it just clicked with me. It's quirky, bizarre, funny, sad, serious and honest all roll into a quick 30 minutes. It is a show with both awkward and relatable comedy that is realistic and natural. Maybe that's why I enjoy it so much as I don't feel like the actors were acting, it feels real, like we're bystanders just watching these people interact.

Another thing I really like about the show is the entertaining title credits and song, I just want to dance when I hear it. I liked Josh's (main characters) parents and their interaction with him and each other. 

There is already a season two (10 episodes) that came out in 2014 which I will be "acquiring" very soon and it was also picked up for third season (10 episodes) that will air sometime in 2015. 

I'm so happy I found this fun and unique dramedy. If you get a chance give it a watch. I can even upload the episodes to my FTP site where you can download both season 1 and 2 for your enjoyment, just let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment