Monday, January 5, 2015

Anglophile & New TV

I've always been a huge fan of all things England/British/United Kingdom And Ireland for that matter. I love the people, the cities, the sites, the history, the TV & movies.. I love it all.  And the past few years I've been thinking of moving there for a year or so.

Come to find out that there is a word for people like me. I'm called an Anglophile, it's defined as a person who admires England, its people, and its culture. Its antonym is Anglophobe. The word's roots come from the Latin Angli "the English", and Ancient Greek φίλος - philos, "friend." How cool is that!!

Two tv series are back from the holidays.. Gotham and Scorpion.  I got to watch the new episode of Gotham with my buddy Erik. Tonight we watched S1 Ep 11 "Rouge's Gallery" James Gordon, reassigned to guard duty at Arkham Asylum, investigates attacks on prisoners with the help of Dr. Leslie Thompkins. Gordon asks Harvey Bullock for help with his investigation and Bullock interrogates Arkham's Director Dr. Gerry Lang. Montoya realizes she is "toxic" to Barbara's health and breaks off their relationship. Gordon discovers that Nurse Dorothy Duncan is actually an inmate. Duncan releases the inmates from their cells, but is trampled to death during the chaos. Gordon, Bullock, and Essen discover that the culprit was Jack Gruber, who escapes from Arkham with his associate Aaron Helzinger, after killing two guards and Dr. Lang.

This was a great way to return after the extended time off. We got introduced to a new ally for Gordan, Dr. Thompkins played by the lovely Morena Baccarin. I had heard she was joining the cast so I know she'll be around for a while. I really enjoy the ongoing storylines. I'm still hoping Barbara Gordan dies in some horrible accident (she's just a horrible character and pretty useless). It was great seeing Allyce Beasley again, she played Ms DiPesto, the secretary on Moonlighting (and I loved that show). I'm warming up to Harvey more and more with every episode. He was particularly fun in this one. I look forward to seeing where all these storylines go.

Next up was the return of Scorpion. S1 Ep 13  "Kill Screen" The team tries to help Ralph when he is taken by the FBI for questioning after his web game play unintentionally reveals a CIA safe house's location.

This is my favorite new series of the new TV season so I was really looking forward to this returning. And as always it was another awesome, very tense yet funny and sweet episode. A good learning episode for Walter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment