Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Gay Blood, Bye 5x5 & Watching The Expanse

:: Getting on my soapbox:: So the FDA has lifted the ban of gay men donating blood.. at least that's what all the headlines are saying.. but that's not completely true and it disgusts me that everyone is giving them a pat on the back for it. It is true that the FDA has lifted the ban on gay men donating blood but that's only true for those men who have not had sex with a man for over a year so in other words abstinence. So if you are a sexually active gay man you can still not donate blood. They still assume your blood is tainted with the AIDS even though advances in blood testing is at it's best yet. This archaic policy further segregates the gay community and with blood shortages that risk the lives of those in need, shouldn't that be at the forefront of the minds of policymakers, not outdated, unscientific ideas. :: Getting off my soapbox::

Got a screening for the Rocky sequel "Creed". I'm not a huge Rocky fan but I hear this movie is pretty amazing.

Today is my last day here at 5x5 media. I've been here since the end of February and worked on two different shows, Santas in the Barn and Separation Anxiety. This has been a great working experience, the people were fantastic and the work environment was wonderful. I took a step down in position and went from Post Production Supervisor to Post Production Coordinator and that drop in title also cut my stress level in half making 2015 one of the better work years I've had in many years. I'm sad that my time has come to an end but I have lots of great memories and I've made some great friends along the way. I don't know what's next for me, right now I'm excited to take a break during the holidays.. but I might have something up my sleeve come the new year.. stay tuned.

Today I watched the new Syfy series The Expanse. I had recorded a few episodes on my Tivo and had some free time after work so Lydia and I watched the first two episodes. I've heard good things about this series so I was really looking forward to watching it. Here's a quick synopsis: Hundreds of years in the future, things are different than what we are used to after humans have colonized the solar system and Mars has become an independent military power. Rising tensions between Earth and Mars have put them on the brink of war. Against this backdrop, a hardened detective and a rogue ship's captain come together to investigate the case of a missing young woman. The investigation leads them on a race across the solar system that could expose the greatest conspiracy in human history.

It's very dense story telling with lots of characters to get to know real quick. There are politics involved and Rich vs Poor. It's a series you really have to pay attention to. I heard it had a Battlestar Galactica feel to it and yeah I think I agree with that. After the first episodes I was confused at what was going on but intrigued enough that I wanted to watch episode two. After the second episode I understood a bit more but still had questions about people and events that had happened. It's a really good sci fi show and I look forward to watching more.

No comments:

Post a Comment