Friday, November 19, 2010

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows pt1 - Getting to the Theater

First let me say I normally don't do Midnight screening as I'm getting older and it's just too crazy but this is Harry Potter and one of the final movies which makes it special so when my padawan Troy asked Harry and I if we wanted to see a midnight screening with him I said why not.. will be a fun experience. Well it was an experience.. fun, I'm not so sure.

So where to begin, first of all I had planned to get to the theater around 10pm, I figured 2 hours before the movie started should be okay. Well at around noon I started getting tweets from friends in other cities who were already lining up and I started to panic a bit.. but figured oh those are the really die hard fans (which I am) but not willing to waster 12 hours of my day sitting in line. Anyways I got off work at 7pm, had the worse traffic I have had yet in the two weeks I have been there. Got home at 8:30pm, made a quick dinner and we ate at 9pm. Got dressed in my Hogwarts school clothes but didn't have time to shave so I looked like a Hogwarts student at his 20 year reunion. We got on the road at 9:15pm and had to stop for gas, but of course our local gas station is out of gas and the closes one is 20 minutes away (but luckily on our way). So we finally get on the 14 around 9:45pm and head south. Figured traffic wouldn't be too bad as we were heading opposite of most traffic but when we got to the 170 split on the 5 they decided to do road work and bring the lanes down to one.

Now suddenly we are in bumper to bumper traffic and I knew we were going to have some issues once we go to the theater. Well we got there around 10:15pm and drove around for another 15 minutes looking for a parking space. Finally getting to the theater at 10:30pm I got the tickets and found out that they already let the people in the theater, mind you we still have an hour and a half wait. I knew then we were screwed and sure enough when we walked in it was PACKED!!! We attempted to find three seats together but there was nothing and we were forced to go down to the very front of the theater where we found some center seats that were four rows back from the screen.

So we made it, got horrible seats but I guess they could have been worse (very first row, or not sitting together). Now we had to wait for my padawan Troy, who was attending a premiere screening of movie that friends had worked on, this was in Culver City.

I get a text around 10:45pm saying that he is leaving and on his way.. I thought great.. plenty of time to get here. At 11:00 he calls me and tells me that the 110 is closed and he was forced to continue on 10 going east and needed help to find his way to Burbank. Now I know freeways but downtown LA is a little blurry to me so I have get off the freeway and go back on the 10 west hoping to catch the 110 but of course that's closed as well and instead of him driving around downtown LA I tell him to get off the freeway while we figure out where he actually is. After a few minutes we realize he is near the Staple Center so Harry maps it on his phone and we tell Troy the directions but of course something is going on at the Staples Center and there bumper to bumper traffic downtown that he is now stuck in. So I stay with him on the phone watching the minutes tick away until my phone is about to die so I wish him luck and hang up around 11:45pm. He was just about to get on the 110 when I hung up and I figured there would be no way he would make it here in time. But normally get previews so I figured he had an extra 20 minutes or so. Anyways I wait and wait watching the time tick away when I get a call at 11:55pm saying he's here and asking where to park. I direct him to the parking lot and head out of the theater to go grab him. After a little shuffling around I finally find him and we get to the theater at midnight. We sit down half way through the first preview.. we made it with 15 minutes of preview to spare. Now I can relax and enjoy the movie.

3 comments:

  1. That's quite a harrowing experience. At least you all got to sit together and noboby missed the movie. I hope my screening tonight isn't as hectic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I waited in line for 14 hours we still did not get the seats we wanted and had to spit our group up into two rows to sit "together". It was crazy crowded. (Mind you my group was comprised of a lot of my son's friends from his ballet company and they all had to attend school and Nutcracker rehearsals that day. Since I am currently not working they asked me to stand in line for them. I had visitors all day whilst I waited in the line and I was very well feed for my time.)There were people in line in around me comparing their waits for past midnight showings and what their places in line were. I'm now convinced that there is so little night life in Sonoma County that people have nothing better to do than show up at every midnight showing that is offered and then later brag about what place they were in line. It came off as kind of pathetic and made me want to get out of here even more than I already do. Although I do attend midnight screenings fairly often we only go for movies we really want to see and most of the time I go because I'm the only parent in the group willing to go. It's a good thing I like a lot of the same movies the kids do or else they'd have no chaperone and their parents would not let them attend.

    Antoinette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I meant "split our group".....

    Antoinette

    ReplyDelete