Sunday, December 26, 2010

Doctor Who Christmas Special 2010


First let me say that I'm a HUGE Doctor Who fan, I have loved every moment from when it first started re-airing in 2005 and I didn't think I could love it anymore then I already do.. but WOW..  I LOVED this Christmas Special and though it was one of the the best stories of all Who. Steven Moffat wrote my other favorite episodes of Who "Girl in the Fireplace" & "Blink" and he did it again with "A Christmas Carol". Previous Christmas specials have always been good, I've enjoyed them all but this one captured that special something that only Steven can capture. The acting was great, Matt Smith continued to impress me with his performance as The Doctor.. I swear he was born to play this character and he is fast becoming my favorite Doctor. Michael Gambon who I have enjoyed as Dumbledore did a fantastic job as the "Scrooge" of the story. All the actors were wonderful. One thing Steven can do is write characters.. all his characters are so engaging and you care for them instantly. But it truly was the story that stood out as something special. I laughed, I cried, I laughed some more. Moffat has a special talent of blending humor with sadness with just the right amounts of each. Though this story ends sadly it's still uplifting and only Moffat can write that to perfection. Another thing I enjoy about Moffat's writing are all the relationships that the Doctor make, be it with an young boy or an old man.. they are just magical and real. Oh one more thing.. I loved the fish and the CG was fantastic.. very whimsical.

I can't wait for the next season of Who.. it can't get here soon enough. I LOVE DOCTOR WHO!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I can't even imagine how they pitched the idea of Christmas fish! It was just too weird of a ridiculous mystery. But once they got past that and into the story of the actual characters it was truly beautiful, and a lot of great funny moments too. "Marilyn, get your coat!" :) Do you know if the ending song she sang is available for download? I want it.

    ReplyDelete