Friday, March 11, 2011

J.R.R. Tolkien - Silmarillion

I finished listening to The Silmarillion and it was FANTASTIC!!!! For those who don't know what this book is about, it the History of Middle Earth. Here's a quick synopsis;

The Silmarillion comprises five parts. The first part, Ainulindalë, tells of the creation of Eä, the "world that is". Valaquenta, the second part, gives a description of the Valar and Maiar, the supernatural powers in Eä. The next section, Quenta Silmarillion, which forms the bulk of the collection, chronicles the history of the events before and during the First Age, including the wars over the Silmarils which gave the book its title. The fourth part, Akallabêth, relates the history of the Downfall of Númenor and its people, which takes place in the Second Age. The final part, Of the Rings of Power and the Third Age, is a brief account of the circumstances which led to and were presented in The Lord of the Rings.

Now I was told that this book is a really tough read and I couldn't agree more. Luckily I listened to the audiobooks, during my commutes and it was as though someone was reading me these remarkable stories.There is so much details and history of Middle Earth that I never knew about. What we see in The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings is such a small amount of time, it's pretty crazy.

I was totally 100% sucked into this history lesson. There are so many names to remember that it's impossible to get them all after one reading (listen). I know I'll be listening to these stories again and again and I hope with each listen I'll be able to retain more and more of this rich history.

This was a wonderful, wonderful addition to this world, it just blows my mind that this all came from one mans imagination. The worlds he creates are just increable, the history, the characters and the laguage are just remarkable. I know there are other works by Tolkien and his family that continue to expand the world of Middle Earth and I can't wait to get a hold of them... can't get enough of Middle Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment