Thursday, January 26, 2012

Hanging with Rupert

Today I got up and had a few slices of toast with peanut butter. Then started editing my next Alien Nation podcast. Around 1pm my buddy Rupert came over and we planned to hang out and watch some 80's sci fi and fantasy movies. I'm having another movie marathon at the end of February and it's going to be a 1980's Scifi/Fantasy movie marathon weekend. I currently have a list and folks who are attending are voting so we opted to watch movies that are not getting the votes and that we will not be watching that weekend. So we started with Krull, this is one of my favorite 80's scifi/fantasy movie and I know some folks think it's cheesy and I can see that but I remember seeing this in the theater way back when, I was 13, and we didn't have alot of fantasy/sci fi so this movie really is close to my heart and always will be. It was also cool so see that "unknown" actors stared in it that are big stars now like Liam Neeson and Robbie Coltrane. Had a great time watching this again.

We then went out to lunch, I didn't go healthy and that's something I need to work out. When I'm hanging out with friends (which isn't that often) but I need to either make food for us or choose wisely. Today we went to Pizza Hut and got some pepperoni pizza, break sticks, buffalo wings and poppers. It's all bad but taste so good. The only plus was that we got this so late that it became our lunch/dinner.

While we were eating lunch/dinner we started to watch Time Bandits. Another great movie from the 80's but one that I haven't seen often. I've owned the bluray for a few months but this is the first time that I'm watching it. I have to say how disappointed I was with the picture quality. They did clean up the print at all. It was like watching it on the movie screen, scratches all over the screen. Luckily I enjoy the movie so I could set aside the way it looked. One thing I totally forgot about this movie was the ending. The kid's house burns down and then his parents touch pure evil and blow up and then the kid is left alone at his burnt out house. Talk about a depressing ending... but still it's a bizarre yet entertaining story and the cast is great.

After Time Bandits we watched The Last Starfighter. Again like Time Bandits I had this on bluray and this was the first time watching it. Now this is in my top 10 scifi movies of all time. I remember seeing this in the theater and being totally enthralled. One thing I noticed about this movie this time around and I don't know if it's because of the hirez or just that it's been a few years since I saw it but man is the CG bad (this was the first movie to do full CG). Everytime they would go to a CG scene it pulled me out of the movie which it's never done before. Now I still LOVE this movie, the story is great, the acting is good and the concept is very original. I love the ships and of course my favorite move that I still haven't never seen before and since.. the Death Blossom!!! Good stuff all around.

After Last Starfighter we decided to have a change of pace and watch a show that my buddy Josh loaned to me. It's call The Reduced Shakespeare Company: The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abridged). I knew nothing about this but Josh knew I loved Shakespeare and Rupert had seen this already and really enjoyed it.. and I have to say I LOVED it. funny, funny stuff. All three actors were fantastic and I love that it was a filmed stage show. They included the entire audience and even pulled some of them on stage.. lots of fun.

Now 11pm it was time for Rupert to head home (he lives about an hour and a half way) but we had such a great time that he planned to do this again next week.

I didn't work out but it might be nice to give my muscles a break. anyways, had a really great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment