Thursday, August 16, 2012

Academic Podcasts

About a year ago I found this fantastic Lord of the Rings podcast from the Tolkien Professor. His name is Corey Olson and he's a professor at Washington Collage and teaches courses about J.R.R. Tolkien. He started recording his classes and putting up as a podcast, then he started actually doing podcasts discussing The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Silmarillion and other Tolkien works. I found his discussions fascinating. I'm a huge LOTR/Hobbit/Tolkien fan and the ideas he discussed were amazing. He's been doing the podcast for years and had plenty of back logged shows for me to listen to. I'm currently caught up and listening to his current podcasts, Riddles in the Dark and Silmarillion discussion. Both are entertaining and so much fun. If you're a big Tolkien fan you should be listening to his podcasts.. they are truly amazing, informative and so entertaining.  You can check out his website HERE And you can find his whole slew of podcasts on itunes HERE

Recently, like two days ago I heard about a Harry Potter Academic podcast called Mugglenet Academia. I read the description and thought this would be right up my alley. It's an adult and very academic conversation about Harry Potter and all the elements surrounding it. I immediately downloaded the nine episodes released so far and listen to the first episode today on my way into work... OMG I love it. The professors and expert on the podcast are extremely smart and I love hearing their take on Potter. They bring up things I would have never of thought of. I haven't listen to this podcast as much as I have listen to the Tolkien one but just after half of the first episode I'm sold. I can't wait to hear more. You can download it here from itunes HERE

I love hearing different perspectives and this level of conversations for two of my most beloved literature works of art.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Kenny! I'm trying to get into podcasts more and I've been looking for some good ones :-)

    ReplyDelete