Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Buffy, Buffy and More Buffy

After creating my D&D character (read previous blog), I jumped online and played a few hours of Lord of the Rings Online with my buddy Chris. They are giving double XP during it's 6th anniversary so I'm trying to level up as many of my characters as I can. Afterwards I headed into town...

This has become a kind of Wednesday thing... Buffy and Bros with my bestie Robert. Tonight we ordered some pizza and wings and sat down to watch more episodes of Season Five of Buffy. First up was "No Place Like Home"  Buffy Summers looks for a mystical source behind her mother's illness, but finds out more than she bargained for.

This is one of my favorite episodes of the entire Buffy universe. This is where we, the audience, as well as Buffy finds out about her sister Dawn. It's heart wrenching to watch as Buffy thinks Dawn is the cause of her mother's illness but then finds out that Dawn is an innocent sent to Buffy for protection. Some of the best interaction between Buffy and Dawn happens in this episode. This episode makes me cry every time and I couldn't wait to share it with Robert.

Next up was "Family" Tara’s family, the Maclays, make a surprise visit to Sunnydale, and she does not seem eager to see them. She casts a spell on her friends to prevent them from seeing demons, inadvertently putting them in danger when Glory sends a group of Lei-Ach Demons after Buffy at the same time.

Another favorite episode of mine as I'm a huge Tara fan and this goes into Tara's back story a bit and explains why she is the way she is. This is also the turning point to when Tara official becomes part of the Scooby clan.. I love how the gang stands up for her.. it's pretty fantastic.

Our third episode of the evening was "Fool for Love" After a common vampire nearly kills her with her own stake, Buffy, in an attempt to learn and prevent similar mistakes, turns to Spike to learn how other Slayers met their end.

This is why I love season five so much... another fantastic episode.. this time we get Spike back story, which I knew Robert would like since Spike is one of his favorites. It was great seeing other slayers and a once love lorn kind hearted version of Spike. We also find out where he got the name William the Bloody (and it's not what you think).

Our final episode of the evening was "Shadow" Joyce has been diagnosed with a brain tumor. Buffy is worried about her mother's diagnosis and Dawn's ability to handle the bad news. Glory visits Giles new magic shop and purchases two items that are essential to summoning an evil snake. Riley also feels left out of Buffy's world, and permits a vampire named Sandy to bite him.

Of the four episodes we watched tonight this was my least favorite, though I still enjoyed it.. but compared the other three.. this was more of a filler episode to progresses the storyline along,. which it did nicely. I love Glory, she's my favorite Big Bad so it was fun watching her in this episode. It wasn't the strongest way to end the night but it sure was a good night of Buffy episodes...can't wait for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment