Friday, April 5, 2013

Family and a Podcast Fiasco

Today was family day, I drove a few hours to visit my dad, brother, sister-in-law, nephew and niece. I hadn't seen them in a few weeks and I like to get down there every two to three weeks. I stopped by my favorite Chinese restaurant and picked up some lunch for Dad and I and then went to Mickey D's for a hamburger for my nephew. When I pulled up my nephew was waiting for me outside and ran up to my car to greet me... loved

While I was eating the nannies friend was talking and kept saying something about her boyfriend wanting to do this and that "he's so gay" and omg "that's so gay". She used it about four or five times. I know that it's just a saying and that for some reason it's prevalent in today's younger generation but being a gay man I was offended. But more so I was upset that she was saying it in front of my nephew and niece. I debated on saying something at the time but I know that my brother and sister-in-law love their nanny and I didn't want to cause any conflict... but I did talk to my sister-in-law later that day about the incident.

I played with my nephew for a few hours until my brother got home. We needed to record several Alien Nation podcasts as one is due to be released next week. My nephew and I were playing light sabers and man can that boy hit hard. I retaliated and may have hit him a bit harder then I planned but it made him burst into tears and run to his mom. I felt horrible, I've never made my nephew cry before. I felt like such a bad uncle and I was sure he wasn't going to like me after that. Of course fifteen minutes later he was attacking me again and wanting to play.

My brother and I have decided, thought it's more convenient for him that we record at his house, with the kids there it's nearly impossible. My niece was in rare form and was screaming the entire time we tried to record the podcast... at one point I said screw it just talk and our listeners will have to deal with the screaming kid behind us.  We recorded for about 16 minutes when we heard these loud scrapping sounds. My niece was pushing dining room chairs around on the wood floors. My brother went to investigate so I paused the recording.. well I actually stopped it. So when we were ready to record again I pressed record but was so frazzled that I actually only pressed play so for the next 50 minutes we went on with the podcast and had a great time and when I went to stop recording I realized that we hadn't recorded anything for the last 50 minutes :(

At this point my brother was done, we had planned to watch two episodes and then record two podcasts.. now we were just struggling to get one done. If we didn't have a deadline in less then a week I'm sure we would have given up and tried again later but we had to get at least this podcast recorded. So we started back up, this time I made sure the recorder was recording. It's always hard doing the same podcast over again as you always forget stuff and the second time around never really turns out as great as the first.. but I have to say I think our second time was just as if not better then our first.

It was a long and exhausting day but we did manage to record at least one episode and I was able to spend some quality time with my family.

1 comment:

  1. Kenny, I can completely understand, my friends and I have recently started recording our own podcast about the video game industry from a fan's point of view. We were inspired by people like you and Teal (whom I went to high school with) and all the wonderful folks over at Geek & Sundry. We have been lucky to have a local coffee house offer us a conference room to record in each week and we can have people come listen and participate live. Recently the coffee house has closed as they are moving to newer/larger accommodation's so we are now recording from our home and our first episode was this week and you can hear the dog whimpering and whining most of the show in the background. I think sometimes these personal type's of things can bring the podcaster and their audience closer. It is good to strive for professionalism but sometimes life gets in the way. Enjoy your blog and your shows. Keep up the good work and thanks for all you do!

    Patrick Freeman
    Hobby Podcaster
    http://www.ecmmogamers.com

    ReplyDelete