Thursday, April 25, 2013

To Boldly Go...

Tonight I got to see one of my all time favorite Star Trek The Next Generation two-parter episodes "The Best of Both Worlds" on the big screen. Joining me for this event were my buddies Sebastian and Aaron.

Here's the details..

Special Fathom Features: The Best of Both Worlds – the two-part storyline comprising the third season finale and the fourth season premiere of the beloved series Star Trek: The Next Generation. For the first time ever, it will be seamlessly tied together as one continuous and uninterrupted story digitally restored with new CGI effects… on the big screen! Audiences will also see special clips from “Regeneration: Engaging the Borg”, a behind-the-scenes look at the making of The Best of Both Worlds. There’s a gag reel culled from recently discovered original negatives. As well as a preview of the blu ray for season four.

I was super excited for this they aired two episodes for season one and season two blu ray releases and I missed both of those.. I was not going to miss this one. This was like an actual movie event. Only part one is the season 3 finale and part two opened season 4 so it surprised me that they chose these two episodes to represent the season three blu ray, but I'm glad they did.

As I mentioned the previous two times the event didn't sell out and I heard there were plenty of seats left so I didn't bother to get a ticket, but earlier today I saw on twitter that the theater I had planned to see it at were sold out (AMC Universal Citywalk) I quickly went to plan B (AMC Burbank) and purchased a ticket. I noticed that they had two showings listed at the same time. Come to find out that they sold out as well but were able to play it in another theater and I managed to get a ticket for that one. Now the second theater was about half the size of the first one and the screen was about 2/3'rds the size of the larger room.. but you know what it's much bigger then my TV at home so I was happy. It was also nice being in the overflow room because it wasn't packed, but it was pretty close.

So they started the night off with the very cool behind the scenes of Best of Both Worlds called Regeneration: Engaging the Borg. I assume this will be on the blu ray as well.. it was fun hearing folks remembering shooting these two episodes and knowing then how important they would become. It was nice to hear how the Borg came into being and the over all experience working on the show.

Next were the two episodes.. they were completely remastered and looked amazing, the sound was also perfect it was a fantastic experience. The only thing was the end of the first episode. I mean it ends was a loud swelling of music, black screen and the words "To Be Continued" well now they blended the two episodes seamlessly together and it was awesome but I must admit I miss the black screen after Riker says "FIRE". I think I missed it because that is how I've watched it for years.

When the episodes were over everyone applauded.. it was pretty epic.

They then shared the recently found gag reel and I have to say OMG that was one of the funniest gag reels I've ever seen and I really hope it shows up on the blu ray as well.

Afterward they played the final promo which was for the upcoming blu ray for Season Four.

Now that I have been to one of these events I hope they continue to have these for each of their season blu ray releases. 

It was an awesome night to be a Trekkie!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment