Monday, July 15, 2013

Magic Mountain with Thomas

Today my buddy Thomas and I went to Six Flags Magic Mountain. If you have read my previous blog Thomas is visiting from Ireland for SDCC. I found out last year that he loves roller coasters so I told him the next time he's in town I was going to take him to one of the best places to ride roller coasters in the world.. Magic Mountain.

It was hot but the crowds weren't that bad. I think we waited an hour at the most for rides but normally it was 15 to 20 minutes. We rode every single roller coaster and the only major ride we did not ride was Lex Luther's Drop of Doom as it was shut down for maintenance.

We got to the park and the first thing I had to take him on was X2 as I knew the line for that would continue to grow. We then rode Viper, Tatus (which is my favorite), Ninja, Superman, had some lunch then rode The Gold Rusher, Apocalypse, Riddler's Revenge, Green Lanterns First Flight, Batman, Colossus, Scream, Goliath, Full Throttle (which is new and was my first time as well), Revolution and finally Superman again.

As I mentioned we rode Full Throttle which opened just a few weeks ago. It was our longest wait, just over an hour but the ride wasn't what I was expecting. I thought it was another roller coaster and in a sense it is but not your typical one. First thing you do is shoot off into the largest loop in the world. That doesn't sound bad but it's so big that when you get to the top of the loop and you're hanging there the car literally slows down to where you're not sure you are going to completely over the loop. You are only held in by your lap restraint, there is no over other shoulder harness. It's extremely scary. After you barely go through the loop you go into a twist and into a tunnel where you stop. You are then eject backwards and go through that twist again but only get halfway through it. As you start to move forward you hit the tunnel again where you are shot out of it like a cannon and go over the top of the loop that you just went through. At one point you are slightly inverted. Once you are over the loop you are instantly stopped and the ride if over. As I mentioned it's a fun ride.. just not what I was expecting. The ride lasts maybe a minute.

We had a blast, if you know Thomas, he's a fairly quiet and reserved guy but on the roller coasters he'd let lose and screamed along with the rest of us, it was fun to see that side of him. From his reactions I would say X2, Tatus, Superman and Apocalypse were some of his favorites. But he loved them all as I knew he would. Can't wait to take him again when he's back in town.

Check out Thomas's Vlog for our day at Magic Mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment