Tuesday, August 20, 2013

What makes you a Die-Hard fan?

So I'm a huge fan of Star Trek, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Buffy/Angel, Firefly, V (original and remake), Doctor Who, and many other genre shows/films, but am I a die hard fan. I've been questioning what makes a you a die hard fan? Do you have to know every fact there is about the show/film, do you have to read, watched, play everything there is about the show/film. Or are you a die hard fan if you love something so much that it's truly becomes part of your daily life. What separates fans for die hard fans?

Many of my friends are die hard fans of one particular thing.. example.. they love Star Wars, the live and breath it. They may like other genre things but nothing compares to Star Wars. But I'm not like that. I consider myself a die hard fan of many things. I love and breath four universes in particular. Does that mean I'm not devoted as much since my love is spread among many and not concentrated on one?

I'm a die hard fan of Star Wars, it was my first love, it is what made me the geek I am today. It got me into action figure collecting. It was something that I bonded over with my Dad when I was a kid. It will always be important to me. But I have only seen the six movies, the few TV specials, Clone Wars cartoon as well as Ewoks and Droids cartoons. I've read a few of the comics but never gotten into the books (not that I wouldn't mind reading them). I don't know ever detail of every character or much of their background. When it comes to the Star Wars universe I'd say I know about 60% of it, but is that enough to call me a die hard fan.

I'm a die hard fan of Star Trek, I remember watching the original series as a kid and it was fun. I didn't really get into it until Star Trek The Next Generation, that's when I went from a fan to a die hard fanboy. I have seen every TV episode of all the series (with exception to TOS and Animated series). I've seen all the movies, I've read a good 60 or so of the TNG/DS9/VOY era books and I've read about 80% of the comic books. Does this mean I love it more then Star Wars... no it doesn't. I love both of this and consider myself a die hard fan of both of these for different reasons.

I'm a die hard fan of Harry Potter, I've read/listen to those books hundreds of times. I know more details about that world then any of the other worlds I love. I've seen all the movies, I even have some Hogwarts robes of my very own. Am I a die hard fan... you know it. Because I know more about this world then the others does that mean I love it more.. no... it's because it's a bit easier with Harry Potter since the world is much smaller then Star Trek and Star Wars.. and by that I mean there is less movies/books and such to consume.

I'm a die hard fan of Middle Earth Universe, Like with Harry Potter I have read/listen to The Hobbit and The Silmarillion several times and Lord of the Rings trilogy a good 30 or so times. I love, love, love the movies and I've seen the not to great animated movies. I consider myself a Hobbit and in fact my alter ego is Frodo Gamgee (@MyHobbitLife), son of Samwise and Rosie. I dress up as a Hobbit every opportunity I get. I love that world. Am I a die hard fan even if I can't spout off the linage of the Hobbit families.. I think so. Of all the worlds I visit this would be the one I would love to live in.

I'm often asked do I love one more then the others... nope. Each one adds to my life, sometimes Lord of the Rings is more prominent, sometimes it's Potter and other times it's Wars or Trek. Each one hold a special place in my heart, so much so that I'm getting tattoo to represent each love. So far I've gotten Harry Potter, Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. Next on my list is Star Trek and I'm having a design created for that as we speak. Will be getting in after my 43rd birthday next month.

So I guess I answered my own question by writing this blog.. regardless of what you consider a "die-hard" fan... If you think you're a die hard fan.. then you are, and to be honest that's all that really matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment