Sunday, November 10, 2013

Gods, Goodies and Gays

Got up this morning and made some breakfast for Aaron and I. We debated on doing some deck work but we were seeing Thor: The Dark World at noon which meant we had to leave my place an hour and fifteen minute before hand which would give us about and half hour to do stuff... we opted to just hang out and chat.

Aaron and I drove separately as he was going to our bimonthly D&D session after the movie and I was opting to go back home to work on the house like a good boy.

We got to the theater a little before noon and were quickly joined by Jes, Dallas, Doug & Robert. Rupert showed up as we were sitting down. One thing I love about the Arclight theaters.. well there are many but a big ones is the assigned seating. I don't mind paying a bit extra and not having to stand in line for hours to ensure that you get a good seat. At the Arclight Sherman Oaks they had costumes displayed from the Thor movie, which was cool. We were also seeing it with the new Atmos audio system which is incredible.

As I mentioned we were seeing Thor: The Dark World. Here's a quick synopsis: Faced with an enemy that even Odin and Asgard cannot withstand, Thor must embark on his most perilous and personal journey yet, one that will reunite him with Jane Foster and force him to sacrifice everything to save us all.

I loved this movie, it was everything I was hoping for. I wasn't a big Thor fan until the first movie came out and I really enjoyed it. But this one really out shined the first one. I think the story was much stronger with this one. It didn't have to explain who everyone was, we just jump on in for a wild ride. The special effects were amazing, the battle scenes.. both with ships and people were crazy cool. Loki was amazing as expected and even had a surprise at the end that I didn't see coming. I really enjoyed Christopher Eccleston (Ninth Doctor Who) who played the leader of the Dark Elves. He was creepy and very menacing. This Thor movie is defiantly up there with my favorites, like Avengers and Captain America.

And it still surprises me that anyone would leave the theater after the credits start to role. There was not only one but two extra scenes this time around. But of course some folks left when the movie ended and then more left once the first extra scene was shown midway through the credits... stupid people.

I give Thor: The Dark World a very solid A. I can't wait to take my dad to see this in the theater.. and this will be a must buy when it comes out on blu-ray.

As I mentioned I did not go to D&D tonight (boo) instead I came home and finished working on my front deck. And I have to say I'm very unsatisfied with the final results, but I have to keep telling myself this isn't for me.. but still I did not have a good experience with staining that deck.

Another thing that I forgot to mention a few days back is that my friend Lydia got me one of those awesome TNG hoodies that I blogged about a few weeks ago, as an early Christmas present. She got me a the Command (Red) one and it's totally awesome. It's so well made and super thick and warm. I can't wait until it's cold enough to wear it out all the time.. gonna get a lot of use out of it. I also plan on getting the other two colors as well. :) Thanks Lydia for the awesome hoodie.

Also today I found out that there was.is a gay scifi/fantasy con called Bent-Con and it was happening this weekend.

BENT-CON’s non-profit charter defines the following goals for the organization:

  • To provide a forum to showcase and celebrate existing, new and emerging LGBT and our Allies talent in the fields of comics, graphic novels, cartooning, animation, gaming, sci-fi/fantasy/horror writers, film-makers, actors, directors, producers and other-related creative mediums.
  • Enable participants in said-creative fields to share, learn and pool from more experienced individuals or parties in the various aspects of the creation, publishing, film-making, marketing and distribution of said-creative fields related content.
  • To educate and express to the greater public and community of the said-creative fields in the areas of LGBT and our Allies presence and contributions to comic-book history, film history, gaming history along with the current trends within those various histories and fields, as well as the impact of queer/LGBT contributions to comics on popular culture and other analytical topics.
  • To provide awareness and a fundraising forum for BENT-CON to build and nurture an often under-appreciated aspect of the contributions expressed from an LGBT/queer perspective within a global pop-culture.
I'll have to be sure to check it out next year as it's held in Burbank, which is close by me. I can always use more gay geeks in my life :)

No comments:

Post a Comment